Friday, February 15, 2008

V-Day


Around here, we prepped for Valentine's Day for about a week. There were valentines to be made, little gifts to be put together, and plans to be made.

My mom came over the other night and helped SP and I make the valentines that were going to her friends and cousins. It was so much fun. I got out literally all my scrapbooking supplies and we made the biggest mess.

Then, I made reservations at the New Yorker, a restaurant downtown, one of the only places I could get reservations at all. I even scheduled a babysitter about 3 weeks ago.

DH came home with roses both for mom and daughter, I went and got the sitter and DH and I were off. We had a great time on our date. I ate way too much (see here) and ended up so sick I had to sleep by myself so I wouldn't bug anyone by getting up and down all night.
The New Yorker was decorated so cute for V-Day! They had about 4,000 pink, red & white balloons with silver ribbons hanging down all over the ceiling so you felt like you were walking through streamers. They even had special V-Day menus.

We had fresh [raw] oysters for our appetizer and they were probably the best ones we've ever had. I was also loving their rosemary bread...it was excellent! But surprisingly, the best thing about the ENTIRE meal was the brussel sprouts that came with DH's meal. They were DELICIOUS! I think they had a tiny bit of horseradish on them but other than that, I couldn't tell you what was on them but I had to talk DH out of 75% of them but it was a fight since he was loving them too (and he doensn't love his greens...). I'm thinking of sending Kelly over there to source out the recipe (since it seems she has a knack for that sort of thing).

7 backward glances:

Gypsy at Heart said...

Brussel sprouts are like asparagus in the cooking. You overdo it and it's mush what you get. You underdo it and they taste terrible. Just right. Divine. Horse radish. You think? Really? I'll have to try it.

Debu's Blog said...

Der Amy,

Can you do one favor for me?

I would like to have a good blogger template. I like it very much. I also wish to have this template.

Help me to make my blog better.

Waiting for your reply...

debudeodhar

Amy said...

Milena: you're so right! I normally am a brussel sprouts lover so whatever was done to these nearly made them like dessert to me! it was fabulous! and yes - i'm almost sure it was horseradish, but that wasn't all! i wish i could find out though!

QT: lol - this is NOT a template although I wish it were. It's the blogger "simple" template and I just photoshopped a pic and put it at the top in the banner slot. I'm considering "moving up" in the world though & purchasing a "real" one - is that a misuse of quotation marks? good luck!

josey said...

ohhh i love that picture!!! you guys look like you're havin so much fun. (and i see the diet pepsi behind you...BWAHAHAH! haha! you know i'm just pickin onya.)

sounds like your vday was (mostly) super. at least you and hubby got some time together alone...before you had to go home and sleep in separate rooms! hehe. bummer!!

i havent had brussels sprouts in a very long time, and they were so-so. i'm sure i'd like them if they were cooked right--i didnt like asparagus at all until i tried it again last year, and i LOVE IT!

Rachel said...

I never got to hang out in the craft room. We'll have to do that sometime. I keep thinking I need a quick Utah trip... I'm missing snow, friends and fun :)

Unknown said...

Sounds so yummy. I loved brussel sprouts so figure out the recipe for me. Thanks for the Valentines too- my kids were very happy.

Amy said...

rachel - i hope so too!

katie - i've got kelly working on how we can get the recipe. we might have to go there and order a plateful of them. i wonder how that would go over!