Monday, February 25, 2008

Fish Doctor

Yeah, I'm a fish doctor. Many of you have asked how my fish are doing. It's been 6 weeks since I had to quarantine the 2 clown fish. It took that entire time for me to completley cure the "ICK" that so plagued them, poor things. The little one had it really bad and for a time, I thought he wasn't going to make it.

I put them back in the reef aquarium yesterday and they are zipping around happily, obviously glad to be back in their home. They're like completely different fish now; as if they truly didn't appreciate their home until they had been displaced.

You remember the quarantine tank is in my kitchen and so I had both clowns as my daily companions. I got lonely in just one day when they were back in SP's bedroom tank. I felt like I needed my own little friend. So I went and bought a new friend today (likeness above). I named him "Foxy". He's just beautiful. He'll have to be quarantined for 2 weeks in the kitchen tank so I'll have a companion for those weeks until he'll be ready to go in the reef.

What am I going to do then? Our 14 gallon biocube can't handle any more than 3 small fish (how sad is that? - well, I suppose I have A LOT of critters in there, but only 3 fish) so I told DH that we'll be selling the biocube and getting a much larger tank for the living room - like a corner cupboard. He just laughed. I imagine he thought I was precious for my insistent (almost adament) opinion that a fishtank was an unecessary purchase, and now I'm pursuing a further (and much more expensive) investment for my little buddies.

I know.

8 backward glances:

Gypsy at Heart said...

Seems like you've been bitten by the aquarium bug. Buy your new one bigger or you will find yourself wishing you'd gone a tad larger in just a short while. I had an uncle like you. He started small and ended up with a tank that was the size of a wall. As a child I loved it. I bet Princess will be loving "mommy's" tank soon. On another note, how are you and how is the remodeling going?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. How is it you became so attached to you "little buddies"? I only ask since I have been trying fro years to get my wife to be more interested in our tanks but nothing has worked. By the way, I do like the layout you have created here :)

Amy said...

Gypsy: I'm looking at getting between a 60-100 gallon tank this time. I'll be able to fit a lot more in there! Thank you for asking - things are going great! My bathroom is coming along great too! The window's done, the demo's all finished, now he's putting things back (all new of course) I'm so excited!

Chris: don't ask me! I guess when you have to care for something that is sick, you start to be endeared to them. my poor guys were so sick for a while and it took a lot of energy, money and time to get them better,so I really appreciate them!

Rachel said...

oh Amy, when you start a hobby you do jump in with both feet don't you.
At least the fish won't be pulling your arm out of socket :) See those pets just take a little piece of our heart, no matter what they cost or what we have to endure to take care of them.

Amy said...

rachel - you're right about all of it.

Anonymous said...

We have kept more pets just because they got themselves into some kind of trouble and we had to save them. You're right, there's something that endears them to you when that happens. I think it's because you realize how much it would have hurt to lose them. They're lucky little fish!

Anonymous said...

It's Mother's Day here in the UK and I'm about to whizz off and visit mine. However, I'm also trying to do some speed-dropping of Entrecards and landed on your site, which has succeeded in distracting me;-)

I shall return! No, really, I will, so that I can leave a proper, valid comment. I enjoyed reading about - and looking at - your avatar pics, and the beautiful fishies you've befriended!

Vibrant site... ta ta for now;-D

Amy said...

RR: I guess that's the whole point - I mean distracting someone while you drop cards! I'm glad I succeeded! Of course you're welcome any time! Have a great day!