Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Toby Tyler or 10 Weeks With The Circus


I often look in thrift stores for old books primarily for decorating purposes. They look so nice lined up on a shelf...like a book collector or something.

I came across a 1930's edition of Toby Tyler which was being given to someone's parents for Christmas 1938 and has a hand written note in the front cover. The note makes it so authentic!

I don't usually read these books but I was bored one night and so picked this one up and read it. It's a short read and I read it in about 3 hours. It's a funny old story - sort of like watching an old movie. The language between youngster and elder is very respectful and uses outdated terms, but it's cute anyway.

It's a little story about a boy who, unsatisfied with his foster home, runs away to the seemingly marvelous life of the circus. He becomes the candy vendor's assistant and we find him eventually very mistreated. He is cursed at, beaten, overworked, underpaid and basically treated as a slave. He is not allowed to go home despite his requests.

The rest of the book is dedicated to his repeated attempts to secure enough money to get home, his ability to charm every other grown-up except his employer, how he learns how to ride a horse while standing up to become the best performance that particular circus has, befriend a monkey (and then watch him die), and finally find his way home into the loving arms of his foster-father.

I believe this book is a social story for young children of the time. "Do not run away for although it might seem quite fantastic, and some times it will seem fun, there's nothing like your home and if you decide to go back, you'll be welcomed with open arms."

I think I'll read it to my daugher when she's old enough.

5 backward glances:

Grammy said...

The story of Toby Tyler was my FAVORITE movie as a little girl. I have never seen it available to rent or buy. I think I will do a search for that one. I want my grandkids to see it. It is such a fun story and I loved the monkey, Mr. Stubbs.

Rachel said...

You are so funny. Perhaps a librarian is the perfect job for you. Or a book editor, book critic, children author... oh so much talent that could be applied for the betterment of readers everywhere.

Gypsy at Heart said...

Did you say the monkey D.I.E.D? Then, I don't want to read it.

Amy said...

Grammy: you really must have loved it to even remember the monkey's name! i need to see the movie!

Rachel: seriously, a librarian? that job would bore me to tears! i think children's book author would suit me though! i've thought about it many times!

Gypsy: the death was glossed over sort of but yes, he was shot...from a tree...by a hunter...and he fell...plop...right in front of the boy. it was really sad!

Ellen said...

That is the cutest meez. I will try and make one for myself. I saved your page. Cute !!!

Ellen
www.ellens-treasures.blogspot.com