Sunday, February 17, 2008

How Many Ways Can You Cook a Roast?

Let's see...I've crock-potted them, thrown them in the dutch oven on the stove, roasted them, baked them in the oven...

But my newest find is an appliance I've owned for several years. In my growning up years, my parents only ever did chickens on the rotisserie and so I never imagined you could do anything BUT chickens. That was until I had a brain explosion and I started thinking out of the box about the device.

Lo & behold, here is one fantastic way to roast - well, a roast (a beef roast to be precise). If you're vegetarian I'm sorry for these pictures because they'll probably gross you out. However around here, according to DH, a meal's not a meal unless there's beef included - preferably at least a lb. dedicated for his plate alone. No, he's not fat and amazingly his cholesterol is fantastically low.

If you have a rotisserie, in this case a George Foreman, throw that sucker on there for about an hour. After that, stop it and check it with a meat thermometer. We like ours at about 160 degrees inside as that is about medium. Closer to 170, you're talking no pink whatsoever and in my opinion, dry. To each his own.

This is right after I put it in. I had to to tie it to the prongs to keep it from flopping about.

Right before I took it out:

Try this! It's so far, the best way I've found to cook an amazing roast and pretty quick too!

3 backward glances:

Gypsy at Heart said...

Gosh! That looks utterly mouthwatering. I love meat. Don't believe I shall ever be a vegetarian though I have inclinations towards vegetarianism. My downfall is meat. I love it you as you describe. That roast looks divine. I'm hungry too now. You should not be allowed to do this Amy unless you can treat your readers to this kind of scrumptiousness. I'm going to have to scrap my current dinner plans and make something else now.

Carly said...

That looks and sounds yummy! Mike's mom likes to make roast and they are usually DRY!. His sister on the other hand makes a yummy moist roast. Anyway, I don't usually cook roast, but may have to try this.

Amy said...

ben: i'm pretty sure any rotisserie would provide these same results. the only downside to a rotisserie is the not-so-easy clean up.

milena: you are SO funny. you have vegetarian tendencies but your downfall is meat. i'm crackin' up!

carly: it is SO EASY to overcook a roast which is why i've started just using the meat thermometer. when it hits 160, i take it out because it continues to cook for a few minutes and if i took it out any later, then it would be over-done.