Monday, February 11, 2008

Time For Spring

You should have seen me the other day! I had seen this really cool little contraption made from PVC - it was a skeleton or framework to hang my fluorescent housing unit with my "grow lights". I thought, "I can do that!". I bought all the stuff and set to work but not being at all mechanically inclined, made a huge mess of it. DH finally had mercy on me and problem-solved what it was exactly I was doing. It came out that all I wanted was something to hang my lights from so that I could put my plants under it. Simple.


He suggested I just hang them from the ceiling over some shelves in our large storage room. Duh...why didn't I think of that?

This morning I got to work clearing off the shelves, I hung up the light and got to planting my seeds. It's mid-February and unless you get the seeds started now, they won't be ready in May for transplanting into the outdoor garden. Every year I anticipate this day! I've had a lot of success transplating my seeds and I love getting the pots ready...
organizing how the seeds will go in the pots and putting them in their little beds...
and then watering and setting them in a desirable place so they can grow...
But my favorite part is when the seedlings start to push through the soil demonstrating all of that potential hope! It's amazing what a little of work, sun, and water are capable of.

11 backward glances:

josey said...

YAY! a fellow gardener!! (geez, are you sure we werent separated at birth? LOL!) i definitely need to get my seedlings started by the end of the month. many folks around here dont transplant much until after memorial day, but last year i was way behind which made for a lot of late summer harvesting! (and none before that!)

i love watching the little seedlings come up, too. esp with the seed hull is still attached to the top of the sprout. hehe! its soooo cute!! and honestly, i just think its amazing.

Barbara said...

Living in So. Cal. I never stop to think about people having to pre-plan their gardens. Your post made me appreciate my garden (and ease). Good luck on your sprouts!

Amy said...

josey: we transplant here right around Mother's Day. By Memorial Day, we're dying of heat and our pool's open for business!

barbara: it would be great to have gardens year-round! whenever I'm in California (and I used to live in Long Beach for a long time - would you believe I'm really a California Girl?) I am envious of the mild seasons and beautiful plants that grow all of the time!

Gypsy at Heart said...

I wish I could say I have a green thumb too Amy but the fact is that plants have a restraining order against me. So different from you or my mother for example who make things grow. I've always thought this is a serious genetic defect because I love green things. I have a beautiful garden which I enjoy terribly when the weather permits but it is not my handiwork. How I'd love to say that it is.

Abbey Hadley said...

Amy,
I'm not really a commenter. Funny story how I came to your blog. Kelly D Sansom was our photographer for our wedding and I found his blog on Gallery, and then came across Kelly Anne's blog and loved it, so I would check it daily, and then came across your blog. I really like your "Quest for Health." I am right there with you. I just had my baby and am dying to drop some of this weight. It keeps me motivated. I also came across Mrs Furious on your blog and now I am addicted to hers. The Mandarin--I quit about a year ago. But, we still go quite a bit. Truly, the best food ever!! P.S. I seriously think I know where you live. I live practically across the street. I am in the 5th ward. It's so weird to think I know so much about someone that I have never met in person, and that lives so close to me. Thanks for the comment and for keeping me entertained on your blog!

Unknown said...

You are so amazing. Seriously- I have always dreamed of having a garden but wouldn't even know where to begin.

Amy said...

Milena: I wouldn't say I have a green thumb - just a big desire. Lots of stuff dies on me of which I have no control. But I love the process which always helps matters!

Abbey: Well, I'm glad you came by. I'm not sure where the 5th ward borders so I wouldn't even know what direction you are from me, lol. You should email me so I can get a better visual!

Katie: Now's your opportunity to learn! You certainly have the space now, and I can help you get a veggie garden set up and I know Kelly will help you with your flower garden. Perhaps next year when Luka is a bit older though. I remember what it was like trying to garden with an infant - I mean what it was like to watch my garden go to seed with an infant. I got it all planted before she was born and then never did a single thing more with it!

FriendinME said...

In Maine, we are about, oh, 2 months from planting seeds. :)

I have been trying to get our state legislature to have winter last from December 18 through January 2, but they aren't listening.

Amy said...

FriendinME: good luck with that! hopefully your summers last longer than your winters

FriendinME said...

I love summer in Maine. If it falls on a Saturday, we have a picnic. ;)

Tina said...

lol...I bet I have that PVC shelf! There are plans for it on T's flowers and things. I do adore it, but do lots more by the WinterSowing technique. No lights, no damp off and no inside space needed. Last spring I had more seedlings than I knew what to do with. You should look into it - you'd have a ball! (and get as addicted as the rest of us!)
WinterSown.org
or
WinterSowing forum and FAQ's