Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Latest Meme

I was recently tagged by Milena at A Leaping Thought to do a post about my blogging profile. It was interesting to do this meme. I did something similar over at BlogsWeLuv sometime last year, it seems like late-summer or autumn-ish.

I was surprised that some of my answers seemed to have changed a little bit. Not that the questions were entirely the same - just somewhat. Here it is:

How long have you been blogging?I have been blogging now for about a year. I originally started with a different blog and then changed to the current one in May 2007.

What inspired you to start your blog, and who are your mentors? It was peer pressure. No, just kidding. A bunch of friends had them and I’d never heard of it before. It seemed like such a cool thing, and such a great way to keep in touch with people. I observed for a couple of months and then jumped in with both feet. I’ve loved it. I don't really have any "mentors" per say, just a lot of blogs that inspire me. I mention them from time to time so check back!

Are you trying to make money on-line, or are you just doing it for fun?I have flirted with pay-per-post and Smorty but really never got into them. What very few posts I ever did for them made my blog feel cheap and contrived. I now do my blogging strictly for fun. I’m in front of my computer too much as it is. If I made it a money making venture, my husband would probably file for divorce!

What 3 things do you love about being on-line? It’s like living in the city! There is always so much to do and see! You just can’t ever do or see even a fraction of it. And if you’re away for even one day, it changes – just like that! I’ve enjoyed making friends with new people and realizing that many people think just like I do. I love the connection. I also love that in some ways, like a good book, it’s a sort of escape from one’s world. Get on-line and you can literally lose yourself in a matter of seconds. It fulfills a need I have of sheer distraction at times.

What 3 things do you struggle with on-line? I am a “heart-on-my-sleeve” sort of person and can be moody at times. It’s not as if I don’t want my blog to be honest, but I don’t believe that people necessarily need to be subjected to my hormone fluctuations. Sometimes it’s a challenge to keep it light and cheerful. I frequently find myself slipping into the “dark-side Amy” and wanting to post a disturbing post that would reveal my “after-midnight” personality. That’s when it all comes out…

I also struggle with the fine balance between divulging too much personal information to the blogosphere (and all the wierdos), and making it personal enough that people find it interesting.

Lastly, I have an internal struggle. Sometimes I really care big-time about how many daily visitors and page views I have. And then other days, I just don’t care if I have any visitors at all. I can’t seem to find the balance – like, do I care if people read it or don’t I? The truth is yes. But I really vacillate between putting a lot of energy into caring or not. I need to figure out how much I want to be invested in it, and then stay there. I think I’d get more out of it truthfully.

7 backward glances:

FriendinME said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gypsy at Heart said...

Oh well done Amy! What a nice surprise to visit today and find that you had actually done the meme. I'm glad I learned new things about you.
To me you are as honest as they seem to come - that means I think you've found that good balance where you say enough and people like me come back because we care. I love the Avatar by the way.

Milena

FriendinME said...

talk about obsessive... I deleted my previous comment because I didn't like the way it sounded! sheesh.

Anyhow, just wanted you to know that I liked this post. :)

I never framed my online time as "like living in a city" but I think that is a really good analogy.

lots to see
lots to do
lots of people to meet
good people
nice people
nasty people
bad people
even people who try to steal from you!

now, I gotta find me a decent restaurant. ;)

For the record, I think your blog is pretty well balanced... but you already know I think that. :)

josey said...

i would actually be interested in seeing the "after midnight" amy sometime. hehe! i think she's sneaked in here just a tad before. i know you are a good person, and i appreciate the fact that you keep your blog upbeat, helpful and fun! however, i would never be turned off if you just needed to vent sometime. not that i'm trying to convince you to change what you want your blog to convey!! (seriously. lol.) you keep it how YOU want it...obviously we all enjoy visiting =)

anyhoo! i have the same struggles as you. some days i feel really cynical and dont want to write about anything personal. but then i think, why would anyone want to read the mundane? and then again...i read a lot of blogs where people are just blabbling on and i like it! LOL!!! some days i just dont know WHY i even blog and wonder if i have spent too much energy into something that makes no difference. :)

Rachel said...

It was fun to hear the truth about why you blog. It was so honest and so Amy. I'm guilty of the let down when no one leaves a comment. I wonder if it's because my life is boring, and my posts are not as entertaining as others in the blog world.
But in reality, I do the blog for me mostly. It lets me vent, reflect and stay in touch with true friends.
Thanks for being the real you online and in person. I miss the in person part, so the online Amy is a great second best.

Mrs Furious said...

I can definitely relate to the "dark side" you know I got a bit of that going on myself ;)

and the stats... I went through a rough obsessive patch with them for awhile. I had to make not checking them a resolution... and I am MUCH happier and much more focused on writing for myself.

Amy said...

sorry i didn't respond personally to all your comments. I really try to do that but I lost all motivation this week because I was watching some really good movies. Movies don't normally trump friendships but I was just sort of burned out! Rest assured i appreciate all of your thoughts regarding my blog. I love all the varying opinions!