Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Last Town On Earth

When it comes to picking audiobooks, I can't be as picky when I'm making my selection because it's slim pickin's at most libraries except for at the Salt Lake City library - that huge brand new one downtown that is so fabulous.

However at the local library, there are probably only about 100 books to choose from and you never really know what you're going to get.

A few weeks ago I picked up this audiobook and just finished it a day or two ago. Evidently it is the first novel by Thomas Mullen.

A short synopsis of the book (and this is really all I had to go on when I picked it up) is this:

In 1918 a flu epidemic ravaged the country during WWI leaving a huge percentage of its victims dead. A small logging town in Washington, called Commonwealth, decided that they would quarantine themselves until the flu wore it self out. They posted guards at the one road into town and barricaded the road. One day, a soldier walked along the road and would not be turned back. He was shot. The rest of the story is the fallout of this single incident, and how the many cope with the decisions of the few.

I loved this book. I loved the narrator's voice - a very deep manly voice that went very well with the characters who were mostly macho loggers. It was clean, thorough and compelling. I highly recommend this book. You should read it! Go! Now!

2 backward glances:

FriendinME said...

It has been forever since I actually read a whole real book. I read so much during my day that reading doesn't relax me very much. But audio books... :) I like audio books.

I "read" this way especially when I am on a long trip in the car, or when I am running on the (ugggg) treadmill.

I generally use my ipod for audio books. Since your selection is limited there (the 100), here are a couple of sites to find some good ebooks books... some free. (audible.com isn't free, but it usually has a special of some sort).

just a thought :)

http://www.audible.com
http://www.audiobooks.org/

Amy said...

I used to be a member of audible.com and loved it but it got expensive when i was in school. i do prefer audible vs. ripping CD's because of the format they take on my iPod - audible is so much easier to manage, and i'm sure you know what i mean since you've done both also. i'll check out your sites. i'm ALWAYS on the prowl. i too listen on the treadmill and have gotten through a lot of books that way. i also listen as i drift off to sleep which is a great way to do something while you're doing nothing. it's also a good way to gauge how long i takes you to fall asleep!