Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sparks in the Night


I awoke at 4:30 this morning to the sound of my treadmill beeping on and off. I'm a freak in the dark and it put me on high alert...until I noticed that both clocks in our room were dark and the movement I was making wasn't tripping my motion-night light.
Power outage.

I lay there for a minute waiting for it to come back on but it didn't. That's when I noticed the strange blue lights coming through the window in frequent succession. They'd go dark for 20-3o seconds then they'd be back. Either aliens were coming, or something bad had happened.

I'm 5'1" and my windows in all my bedrooms are probably about 5'4" off the ground so looking out of them was out of the question. I could only stand there, like a child, and stare up at them at the dark sky. Still the strange lights flickering on and off. I never thought to go out to the kitchen and check out what I could see from a normal window. I was still, of course, half asleep.

I went back to bed and lay there panicing about fires and things until I fell back asleep only to wake every few minutes to check to see if we were aflame or if the power was back on.

At 6:30, my wonderful DH got out of bed, showered, dressed, warmed up his truck and drove to his shop where he got a generator. He brought it home and hooked it up to the furnace so at least we had heat, which is more than I can say for the rest of the neighborhood who suffered through less than 60 degree homes until noon when the power was restored.

Turns out the blue light was a power line that had arked and caught the pole on fire 1/2 a mile away. DH was down there checking it out and the pole was burned 1/2 up. Crazy I saw that from my bed! The linemen had to completely remove the entire pole and re-install a new one which accounted for the long delay.

I felt really bad for all my neighbors and friends who had to stay in bed until noon just to stay warm! But I'm so grateful for my responsible husband and his resources.

2 backward glances:

Anonymous said...

Nice resource to have! We were quite cold and when we figured out that the church was out of electricity as well, we piled into the suburban and headed to Carl's parents. Ahh! warmth.

Rachel said...

WOW! And you didn't invite all the neighbors over for a little read a thon at Amy's :)