Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Relax

I don't exactly have a hard time relaxing. I never have. And I'm definately not an insomniac. Ask my older sister whose primary memory of me as a teenager is of me...asleep...anywhere. She has recollections of me sleeping on the floor of a hardware store as my dad shopped. But in all fairness, what female teenager wouldn't fall asleep at a hardware store? Give me a Nordstrom any day and I'm wide awake! That was then though. Now, my 2nd home is Home Depot but that's another story altogether.

I really like falling asleep while listening to a book and have completed a million that way. But last night I was more in the mood for music, but not just anything. I wanted something soothing and relaxing. I paged through the thousands of songs I have on my iPod but could only find one album that qualified and as I lay there listening, it was NOT relaxing. It had this familiar melody that my mind kept wanting to sing to which prevented it from meandering off into never-never land instead.

My mother, who not only is an accomplished plastic canvaser, is also a massage therapist among a zillion other things. She gave me a CD called Relax with Thundering Rainstorm (by Creative Music Marketing Ltd. in 1996 catalog no. CMM601-2 just in case anyone is interested). This is the most amazing CD! I have listened to many so-called relaxing rainstorms but there's always this obnoxious melody along with it, and I just don't think it is relaxing. I prefer to hear just the rain beating against the roof, and a clap of thunder, as if it's right outside my window. Nothing is more relaxing, I think. Knowing that I'm snuggled in my warm covers while Mother Nature pours buckets on the earth...it's a safe and comforting feeling.

Another wonderful CD is the one I play for the SP every night to calm her is a dual CD collection called Baby's First: Playtime and Sleeptime, and it comes with one CD that is Birthday songs, and the other one is called Sleepytime. It's published by St. Clair Entertainment. This one is mainly instrumental pieces but they're sort of new-agey and really soothing. I know this because the times I am forced to lay with her, I nearly drift off myself (something I do not like to do in her bed: my personal opinion of a bad habit).

3 backward glances:

Mad goat lady said...

I just have to have the radio on to go to sleep after reading until my eyes almost fall out. Hubby is the exact opposite and must have complete silence and for the room to be pitch black. I have an earphone stuck in my ear and a book light..his compromise is that I *must* have a whirring overhead fan on no matter what the temperature oh and all the windows open. Funny how we all have our strange little sleeping habits

Rachel said...

The rain CD sounds wonderful. But I am a silence, pitch dark room person to sleep.
Enya is still my favorite smooth soft relaxation music.

Shelby said...

I love that, supreme princess, mine is the Naughty princess!