Wednesday, October 10, 2007

4 Year Old Girl Falls into Grand Canyon

Yesterday, a four year old girl fell off the edge of a cliff in the Grand Canyon and fell 450' to her death. Her father, ran down to where she had fallen, injuring his ankle in the process and gave her CPR when he reached her. When LifeFlight arrived, she was pronounced dead.

My heart goes out to this family and I can't imagine what they are going through now. That poor little girl. Her poor family who obviously watched her fall...that really long fall. I'm trying not to think about the actual fall.

Evidently that's the 2nd person to die there this year. I just can't believe it was someone so young and am trying to get it out of my head...I mean, anyone with kids can probably identify with the trauma this invokes in my mind.

My prayers are with this family.

7 backward glances:

Rachel said...

oh my. I was going to stop at the Grand Canyon on the way home, but Chad convinced me to wait and go as a family next spring. I will certainly have this in mind when we do go. How very very sad.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard...it is sad news indeed. I can't imagine what that would be like. I can't imagine life without any of my children and hope this is something that I will never be forced to discover. I too will say some prayers on their behalf.

Unknown said...

At these times I am so glad about the knowledge I have of the gospel. It is the only comforting tool. I can't imagine not having that faith and reassurance.

Jessica said...

Oh Amy... how horrible. We love the Grand Canyon, but as with anywhere, tragedy can strike; it is so sad to picture such a horrific accident in such an amazingly beautiful place. I will definitely keep this family in my prayers. No words can describe the sorrow they must be feeling.

FriendinME said...

oh my. I remember one day holding my own daughter in my arms, thinking she was dying. It was awful. I can only imagine that dad's sadness.

Steve said...

While I agree with you all, I can't help but wonder how a 4 year old girl found herself at the edge. Having two kids of my own, I can't even imagine how she didn't have one hand firmly in her father's while standing within 100 feet of a 450' drop.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I can't see how this is other than an unforgivable lapse in judgement and it makes me angry on behalf of the child more than sympathetic for the father.

Grammy said...

This summer I totally fell in love with the Grand Canyon. I have some posts about it on my own blog. I have seen how some of the the viewpoints are so precarious, but breathtakingly beautiful. I have pictures of Rod standing out on a small outlook off a trail we followed - no railings or anything like that. I would NEVER take a small child there and let go of that trusting hand. In fact, I don't know that I would put that child down at all. Oh, what a heart-breaking accident. Of course it was an ACCIDENT and that is so sad! And even though as a parent, we decide we would NEVER do something regarding our kids, sometimes the child moves so fast there is nothing we can do. I hope they can find comfort and peace in such a tragic loss.