Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Breast Cancer


While I was in Idaho, I found out that one of my great-aunts had been diagnosed with breast cancer, and while she was able to fight and win, it could come back anytime.


Until now, I had no idea this was in our family at all. I've always supported various breast cancer awareness campaigns but never with any personal experience. I've actually never known anyone who has had breast cancer. I've run the Susan G. Koman 5k once, and donated money to cancer research from time to time but it's only because I know it's a crisis to many women and their families.


But it hit home when I found out that it could possibly be me someday. And why not? Am I so special that I will sidestep something so catastrophic? Surely I will be victim to something in my life, why not breast cancer. That's not fatalistic though, it's realism.


Anyhoo, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so I'm going pink in support. I encourage you all to go pink too and spread the word so that the 1.2 million women worldwide who will be diagnosed with breast cancer will have a chance at survival. Who knows, it could even be you.

3 backward glances:

Rachel said...

I second that thought. Chad's family has several women that are currently fighting this terrible disease. I'm joining you in going PINK.
Thanks for reminding me how important our voices are to keep the research and support up.

Jessica said...

I love your meez! It is one of my fav' things to check when I get on your site. Glad she is going pink!!

Anonymous said...

Scary...but good to be aware of! YEAH PINK!