Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Racquetball

Yesterday, my sister taught me how to play racquetball. She's been playing for a while with her husband and she also took a class where she played against guys that were really good. So she was a good teacher. Patient, and giving me serves that bounced easily off the end of the court right to where I could hit them.

I, however, didn't do so well. Several times I literally threw myself into the wall head-on, and another time, I viciously hit myself accidentally over the head with the edge of my racket. I barely averted the ball several times and hit my sister in the arm with the ball once...pretty hard. It's sort of an aggressive sport - but I loved it!

Today, my entire right arm is sore starting from my shoulder complex right down to my wrist. But like most exercising, it's a good sore. I got a great workout without even realizing how hard I was working! A friend described it as "hidden fitness" which is a term I dig. I'm already looking forward to playing again!

6 backward glances:

FriendinME said...

I love playing racquetball. Brian Regan says that it is the only sport where you can serve the ball, and at the same moment it hits you on the back of the head.

Remember: never turn around to watch your opponent when he is hitting the ball. never. I learned. :)

josey said...

awesome!! i've never played--been too chicken cause sometimes i'm not too coordinated, plus im always twisting my ankles. LOL!! maybe this is what you need to shock your body into dropping those pounds! =D

i know what you mean about the sore arm...i got hubby an indoor basketball hoop for christmas (its a big one--like 8ft tall and 8ft long, electronic scoreboard, etc...) and the first few days we had it, my right shoulder and side were SO SORE! i started using my left to shoot. LOL! now i can get an "even" workout. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ack! I LOVE racquetball! I used to play alll the time in high school and college. I actually tried getting back into it last year but it's nigh-impossible to find a court around here. I finally found one about 25 minutes from my house at a gym that a friend belonged. So I just paid a guest fee and got court time. The only bad thing was... this guy was awful. REALLY awful. So it didn't do much for me. But you can get an insane workout playing.

Unknown said...

I love racquetball but I am so bad at it because I am a tennis player and they are totally different games believe it or not. I always miss the ball because I am used to my bigger tennis racket.

Rachel said...

Amy, I'll play with you anytime.

BTW, I got the package today and rocked out to the first CD and LOVED IT! I laughed at how many songs were on the list that I love and listened to but never purchased the CD or tape. It's a dead man's party, the all time Dance song in HS. Or any of the country songs that made me smile and think of days gone by.
Thank you for taking the time to put the CD's together and send me the care package, I really needed it this week!! Loved the Christmas gift. Thank you!

Amy said...

FriendinMe: that was lesson #1 from my sister and it's hard because you want to keep your eyes on the ball - but you can get hit so easily!

Josey: i wish losing weight was as easy as just finding a game you love! i'm sure i'll have no such luck!

Andrew:that's too bad you don't have a court nearby! we actually didn't have one either until about a year ago when our new recreation center was built. it's so awesome to have one only 2 miles away (actually 3 courts).

Katie: i had no idea the rackets were different sizes! you'd probably be a perfect opponent for me right now!

Rachel: you come back to visit and we'll play...promise! glad you liked the music!