Sunday, January 13, 2008

And Then There Were Two...

fishtanks I mean. Barbara, of Barbara Gordon Photography, commented on my post yesterday about how fatal and contagious this disease, called "Ick" is. I was trying a slightly less expensive and drastic step yesterday by letting them swim for an hour in the fermaldahyde mixture. But Barbara scared me into taking more drastic measures today.

I took pictures of little Squiggly to the pet store today for a better diagnosis although I was pretty sure it was "Ick". The resident expert still wasn't quite sure but she said a quarantine tank, with some added kelated copper, was in order anyway just to be safe. Leaving these fish in isolation for a month will let the parasite live its lifespan in my regular tank and by the time I put the fish back into the tank, the parasite will be gone. That span is 4 weeks.

So, now there are two fishtanks in my home. One in SP's bedroom, and one on my kitchen counter where I can monitor the fish. It was another $60. Yes, I know. Please don't say it. I know you're thinking it. I'm thinking it too. But they're God's creatures and we took the responsiblity - we don't just dispose of God's creatures when they've become inconvenient. And I feel strongly about that after many experiences with pets and ... husbands... and children...and such. Ooooooh, just kidding!

Anyway, if you pray for animals, pray for Squiggly. He's a cute little guy who is fighting like the dickens. Thanks for stopping by today!

4 backward glances:

kelly said...

Snails are God's creatures too. : )

Barbara said...

Good for you, Amy! These creatures are at our mercy, so it's our responsibility to be the best caretakers possible.

I hope your fish recover. I've had some that made it through Ick, which made me feel much better.

Keep us posted! :-D

Amy said...

kelly: yes, they are you little snail-lover!

barbara: thanks again. i hope that rascal makes it. he's still eating and pretty active so i think there's hope.

Gypsy at Heart said...

You did the right thing Amy. The tank actually looks quite good on the countertop. I commend you on the neat kitchen. Wish mine looked half as good as yours. Thanks also for the absolutely lovely comment you left on my blog out there. You sent me off to bed with the warmest feeling (your words were the last thing I read before I shut the computer down). Thanks for making my day. And of course I will visit regularly. I want to know about the fish!