Monday, January 7, 2008

A Big Empty Spot

Today, I finally controlled the chaos that was my living room. By that, I mean I got my Christmas decorations all put away, and the tree down. I love all of my christmas things and love getting them all out but it's nothing compared to how I feel when I put them all away each year. No wonder January is considered the time for organization. After so much clutter, I can't be the only one who digs in to clear the cobwebs and get control.

And I have done just that. I am going to re-posses my home if it's the last thing I do. A friend, just today in fact, described me as the most organized person she knows and I literally laughed out loud. If she could just see my storage room, and laundry room and spare bedrooms. Oh, did I forget to mention my office? Oh. My. Gosh. My office has been sadly neglected since I've not been habitating it much anymore. My laptop has released me from it's controlling arms and I have actually forgotten about it. It's a storage unit for all of my extra crap and I hate going in there! I have seriously closed the door tonight on it so I don't have to see it anymore.


Anyway, about the pic. If you've seen my Christmas pics, you might know that this little "hole" is where my Christmas tree was. But this space wasn't created for my tree...no, it's a space that exists anyway, as if all year it is just a lonely little space waiting for it's wondeful habitator - the Christmas tree. It's when that space gets all its attention.

I really like my living room. It's the first room I gave attention to upon moving here. I think it's a cozy space, and I love seeing it when I walk into my house. But this little hole troubles me. I don't want to fill it just for the sake of filling it. But I think I should put something there that is beautiful and unimposing. I don't want a big dorky fica tree, or a super-huge bookshelf - oh, and I absolutely don't need anymore seating. I think more big furniture might overwhelm the room since there's already a sofa, loveseat and chair plus 3 tables. So, what would you do with this spot?

9 backward glances:

Ellen said...

I'd love to suggest something trendy and cute that would be "just the thing" for that spot. Unfortunately, you know the way my house is run. Every open space is filled with baby stuff: the swing, the bouncy chair, the play table, the toy shelves....and the list goes on. So, what to put there? Maybe it's nice to have an empty spot...

Amy said...

true. i should count my blessings that it's not full of toys or clutter, right? good point.

josey said...

i'd definitely put a plant there :) no need for the ficus, i think in that room a rubber plant would rock! they like dark little corners, too, but can handle some light and a tad of weak direct sun.

here's a pix of one i have...sometimes they come taller, too, which might look even better in your corner :D im just all about plants--they make your home healthier and they are great decoration!

Rachel said...

You know when I worked with designers they loved "white space" honestly, they would design layouts with clean open space. Life is cluttered enough. Sometimes a little openness is not a bad thing.

Let the spot be.

I agree with the January organizing, it's healthy to clean up. But that's just me :)

kelly said...

I would leave the space open as far as the floor is concerned, but I would hang something long and awesome on the wall.
Like, maybe a series of related pictures going down that wall, or some unique object that would give it some personality.

Mrs Furious said...

Interesting.
I do love your living room it is really warm and inviting.
But I agree I think (and that is saying something because I don't really decorate this way) a plant of some kind is called for. I have to say even before I read the post or saw the circle... I did notice the space... although not in a negative way.

Amy said...

leave it empty, put a plant, hang some pictures. thanks for the food for thought! i'll mull it over for awhile. thanks for all the suggestions!

Sleeping Beauty said...

Sigh, my livingroom used to look like this before I had my babies. Now I have 3 kids, baby bouncers, clutter in every corner and slip covers on the couch. I envy your living room lol. Not to mention, I have not one picture frame, that is not broken or have some unknown sticky substance on it. :) I cant wait for the day I can have my house back lol.

Amy said...

lol - there are "a few" benefits to having only one child. i wish i had another kid or two to make more clutter. o-well. we have what we have, right?