Sunday, January 20, 2008

Let's Get This House in Order

I think a lot about organization in my home. My tolerance for disorder has lowered as I've gotten older and when I open a cupboard, I want it to be clutter free, and organized. And those are just my cupboards. I spend time each day working toward a de-cluttered, non-chaos home, not for anyone else - just for my personal sanity.

There's nothing worse than sitting down with a good book, only to be plagued with thoughts of the dirty dishes on the sink, the pile of laundry to be ironed, or a closet that will decombust if you try to hide one more piece of junk in it.

My home is absolutely not perfect. But it's clean, and it's not cluttered. I do my best to avoid junk rooms & drawers even though it's a constant battle.

My personal "savior" (that sounds bad especially on a Sunday) is Flylady. I've been working this program for about 6 years now and while I've deviated quite a lot from the original program (and don't do the crazy emails), it has helped me a lot.

So, if you are drowning in a tide of laundry, can't quite keep up with the day-to-days let alone cleaning out your fridge, sorting through your spare bedroom closet, and vacuuming UNDER your furniture - give Flylady a try. You might be pleasantly surprised by how little time it actually takes to gain control over your home, even if you work full-time.

4 backward glances:

FriendinME said...

for me, your links to flylady aren't working. I get an Error 404. Can you post her url?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my little piece of the Food World. And I completely agree with you. I can't stand to have disorder when I'm doing something peaceful and constantly battle it. It is the bane of my existence!

Shelby said...

Thanks for the tip, I definitely needed it!

Gypsy at Heart said...

Amy, here at home it got somewhat out of control for me but in the inverse. I am such a nut about picking up that I would wake up every day at 5 to clean and mop floors (every day). I would freak out (major) if a piece of my son's toys would disappear on me and couldn't rest until I'd found number 1400 of the 1400 lego pieces. I realized a major re-haul of my obsessive compulsive disorder was in order when I noticed the kiddie (without prompt from me of any kind) return to place two shoes side by side and symmetrically aligned (I kid you not) and he would get terribly frustrated if something wouldn't fit perfectly like one wooden train track into another. The problem you see, was me. I can tell you that this realization was like smashing against a wall for me. Now, when a pair of shoes is out of alignment (there are several in a pile at the entry hallway) they remain as are. When his toys are thrown around the house, or a piece from a set is missing, I still dislike seeing the clutter, I still hate not knowing what became of the piece but that is where it ends. I do not look for it unless it comes back to me via my cleaning (invariably it does). I also deliberately leave stuff out. I've discovered that the minimal clutter makes my house look like a home, not a showroom. A child lives here and now one can tell that he does, finally. I'm learning to deal with my cleaning demons and quite frankly, Mr. Messy is not such a terrible pill to swallow every once in a while. Sorry for the treatise and I hope you have a nice day. By the way, like friendinme, the flylady link did not work for me.