Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fish Trouble

I've gotten quite attached to the creatures in the fish tank, and that's not just the two clown fish Lucy and Squiggles. There are three snails, ten hermit-crabs and two coral plants. We're sustaining life here! Of anyone in my family, I spend far more time than any of them watching, getting familiar, worrying etc. about our little creatures. They are now my pets. I love them!

But the fish have contracted some kind of weird, white moldy stuff that is growing on Squiggles mouth and fins, and has now jumped over to Lucy's fin. It's a parasite protozoa and I was advised to remove them from the tank for an hour and let them swim in a mixture of sea-water and a few teaspoons of fermaldahyde. Ew!

I hope they get better!

3 backward glances:

Barbara said...

It's called "Ick" (yes, really) and there is medicine for it. I'd suggest you RUN to the pet store to get it. It's extremely contagious and highly fatal. The medicine is very cheap and you just put some in the water.

Amy said...

barbara: your comment scared me. the fermaldahyde dip did not seem to improve the fish's condition so i took more drastic steps. see today's post! thanks for your help!

Gypsy at Heart said...

I hope they get better. That's one reason I have never gotten fish. As a child all the ones I ever had suffered some terrible demise.