Friday, December 28, 2007

Pass It On

This is my 2nd post about a billboard I read. The first one you may remember was taken off the next day since it was just a negative rant. This one is the opposite.

I was driving along I-15 this morning when I happened to see this billboard (above). I've seen it many times before but today, it struck me. It's not an advertisement, so why is it up there?

Who is the great fan club for human-kind that paid big bucks to have this "moralization" (yep, made it up) put in such a prominent place? And by that I mean, it is right on the main corridor going downtown.

I thought a lot about it. Surely no capitalist organization could be responsible. And the more I thought, the more I wondered. It's a nice statement, and the only motivation for it being there was that someone thought that people driving along I-15 might need a moral increase.

The people that do this happen to be an organization called The Foundation for a Better Life. On their website, it said that it is a non-profit organization who receives its funding from one family who "wants to remind individuals they are accountable and empowered with the ability to take responsibility for their lives and to promote a set of values that sees them through their failures and capitalizes on their successes." They believe that if people do this, then the community will benefit as a whole.

I'm impressed by this. I like to look for an encourage the good in all people. I realize there is lots of bad in the world, but if we could all have a better attitude, I think things would be a lot better. I hate negativity.

9 backward glances:

josey said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!

people say we have our heads in the clouds, but i'd like to think we're more grounded than most =)

thanks for sharing this!

Jessica said...

Great reminder!

"I taught 5th graders prepositions. On an empty stomach."

How does that sound? : )

Jill Marie Paulson said...

Amy ~
I've never seen one of these signs, but I have been getting a daily quote from them for many months now...not sure where I originally came across their website, but if you like this sign, you should sign up for their daily quote emails...I've found some of my favorite new quotes this way.

Amy said...

josey - at least some of us do, right?

jessica - you inspire me! :)

jill - it would be nice to have something in my mailbox other than junk! i'll have to check it out!

Ellen said...

One of the original members of the FFABL was in my ward back in Denver. At the time, there were only about 3 of them in the foundation and they had just started it. She said that she worked for a guy who had some money and wanted to promote a better life for people. Cool huh?

Anonymous said...

Great. So a blind man climbed the insane Mount Everest. That makes me feel pretty small let me tell ya...

Kidding. I'm kidding. That is a pretty cool billboard and a great sounding organization. I'll have to look into that a bit. Thanks for passing that on, Amy.

And also, hope you and your family have an amazingly Happy New Year all around!

kelly said...

Amy, I love these billboards too. My favorite one was with Abraham Lincoln.
I never really thought about why they were there.
I think it's awesome that there is an organization that is truly trying to better the world.
I may subscribe to the quote of the day too!

Rachel said...

I too have seen the billboards and each one has made me smile and think. It's too bad there isn't more out there to encourage us to DO BETTER! I guess that is why we have each other. You make me want to do better!

papa johns said...

I just agree here with josey on what she said. Very spot on and true. I also appreciate you sharing this. Thanks Coupons for Papa Johns