Thursday, December 27, 2007

Laughing Gas

I had to have two cavities filled this afternoon. Like most people, I really don't like the dentist because sadly, he's synomous with pain.

My dentist has laughing gas and normally I really like it. I've had it numerous times for various work I've had many years ago. Does age even affect how you respond to drugs? That's sad!

I couldn't retreat from the discomfort as far as I was used to. I remember feeling like i was down a very long tunnel and that someone outside was banging and moving the tunnel but I was so far down, it didn't affect me. Plus, the dentist kept trying to talk to me and I was like, "WTF, don't you realize I'm trying to zone out here, geez!"

He stoppered my mouth to its widest point and I felt that long needle slide in and although I was still in a far-off-place, I felt it nonetheless. I also felt some of the drilling.

But the worst part was the way I felt (am feeling) afterward. I have a headache, and it took me about 1/2 an hour for the fuzzy feeling to wear off. Doesn't it give you a feeling of great security to know that this 1/2 hour was spent driving in rush hour traffic? I really thought I was fine - but isn't that what all the drunks say when they get behind the wheel?

I made it home in one piece, as did all my fellow road-mates, and now I just want to take a nap. I'm enormously ravenous but eating is about as enticing as chewing on my arm since my tongue feels like a 40 lb weight.

All in all, I do feel like I would go through the laughing gas again just to escape the discomfort and tension I go through to have dental work performed. It really stresses me out! I come out of there coiled up like a slinky! But maybe I should plan to have a few hours for a snoozer the next time I visit my dentist (which will be sooner rather than later since I need 2 crowns done before my teeth crack out of my head!)

3 backward glances:

Jessica said...

Oh lordy... I hate pain.. reading this made my jaw clench up. Ughh.. so sorry, Amy. Get a movie and chill. : ) You deserve it!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! You know how bad I HATE the dentist. I would rather have a baby any day- and I am DEAD SERIOUS!

kelly said...

Dang, girl! I could have given you a ride home!