Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Very Best Bookstore Ever

I have a special place in my little soul for a wonderful nook called "The Tattered Cover Bookstore" located in Denver, CO. At this splended location is a very old and historic building dedicated to bookworms like me. In this retreat, a book nut will be in their own personal form of heaven on earth. You walk in to a small, cozy little cafe with mismatched, spindly cafe chairs with the usual coffee-folk gathered around in huddled discussion. From there, you see a staircase headed up into sort of darkness and beyond the staircase begins the bookstore. As you meander through past the staircase, you must be on alert of you will topple over the many precariously perched stacks of books randomly placed...everywhere. Wandering further, you notice the floor to ceiling bookcases that appear to the casual observer to be mazes that one enters but never emerges, at least in the same place. You can be lost in the maze for hours! And somewhere in the maze, you'll chance upon a cozy wingback or chair that sucks you into its fluffy comfort. You sit for hours with your cup of liquid pleasure, a book you didn't expect to find, and no one knows where you are - not even you.


The last time I was at Tattered Cover was about 8 years ago and my sister snapped this pic of me somewhere on the 3rd level, I believe. I think I was lost in a book on aerial photography of lower Manhattan, which at the time was my desired abode.


I've always thought how great it would be to open a Tattered Cover franchise here in Utah. Its atmosphere is largely what draws its customers, and from what I've experienced, nothing parallels Tattered Cover...at all. When you want to lose yourself, and at the same time feel completely at home, you've got to go to The Tattered Cover Bookstore (online just doesn't do it justice...not dusty enough).

7 backward glances:

Jessica said...

I teach 5th grade Reading, and just love the idea of getting "lost" in books!! Good for you! : )

Ute said...

My very favorite bookstore is right here in Portland. It's called Powell's and covers an entire city block! It's huge, it's got the greatest selection of books, new and used, and it has a German section the size of my living room. I LOVE it there!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, a backward glance at the Tattered Cover! Many happy memories for me, too. I'd ALMOST say "Let's open a franchise together"...but my latest desire is to return to Hot Springs and work at the mineral spa there!!! Read my blog and see my pix from the trip--you'll understand.

Sarcasm Abounds said...

I completely agree, although they closed the Cherry Creek location which I think this pic was snapped at.

The reopened it farther away from CC, but I haven't been to that one yet.

Then, they just opened a third location near where I live south of Denver, where I of course picked up the last Harry Potter book among a crowd of 2000 in the dead of night.

SA

Amy said...

you know...i heard a nasty rumor about CC location closing. so it's true! so sad, so so sad. i can't imagine any other location being as wonderful as that one.

Anonymous said...

these type of bookstores are are rarity because of the bigger more savvy perfect bookstores (with lattes and muffins) like barnes and nobles and borders.

don't get me wrong, i love those stores but i'm all for bringing back the old friendly neighborhood bookstore, a place you can just feel at home and like you say "no one knows where you are".

Meg Ryan's old rustic bookstore (where children can have story telling sessions, fun & games and everyone knows you by your first name) vs. Tom Hanks' giant (where you are just another number) in You've Got Mail comes to mind.

Amy said...

Foo: exactly!