Sunday, September 2, 2007

Can't We all Just Be Nice?

I've been thinking about this a lot today and what an awful place the world can be sometimes.

I think that with people we are acquianted with, family, neighbors and such, it's much easier to be nice. Like if you're in a parking lot and you're vying for a spot, and someone you are acquinted with is also wanting the spot - how many of us would willingly offer the spot to them? That's an easy one, right?

But what about driving on the freeway when someone you don't know accidentally cuts you off? Well to start off, most of us assume malicious intent straightaway! Why do we do this? But answer this: are you mad? Do you swear? Are you rude and flip them off? If their intent was malicious, are you going to allow yourself to get down on their level? It just seems like a no-brainer.

I want to know why we, as a society, can't be nice to even people we don't know. Do you realize that if you got to know, even slightly, the person you just flipped off, you probably would never have dreamed of treating them that way?

I'm not perfect but this is definately something I'm working on. I just don't understand why we all have to be so mean.

It's the same thing on the internet with these community bulletin boards where it gives people the liberty to be outright hostile & ignorant to people they don't know.

Where is the love, the tolerance, the patience, the forgiveness? Please people, can we kill ourselves with kindness rather than hostility?

3 backward glances:

Rachel said...

This morning I met 4 new couples in our neighborhood. Jake and I went for a walk and stopped at the park to play. In 2 hours we talked with these 4 different couples with small kids of varies ages, one was from Mexico, one from Austin Texas, one was in our Ward (but I hadn't talked with them yet so today was a good excuse and the last couple I have seen running about the neighborhood. What was interesting was with a handshake and an exchange of names these neighbors when from being strangers to being friends. We have to get over being afraid of people and be willing to reach out a hand of friendship. Amy I agree, if we treated strangers like friends the whole world would be a different place. If we start with our neighborhoods we can make a small differences.

Shelby said...

You really got me thinking!! I didn't like my answers to some of your questions. I am one that needs to change!!! You have inspired me! Thanks

Ute said...

So, you have a new reader. :) I found Phat Mommy yesterday as well, and well, I saw your comment there, and her I am. Anyways... I am so totally with you on being nice to each other. When I look on youtube sometimes and read some of the comments, I am just amazed and I wonder if those aren't the same people you smile at when you're at the grocery store cash register or at the post office or whatever...

So one day I read someone's comment and asked "can't we just try to be nice to each other"... and she brushed me off pretty good, and basically told me to shut up and mind my own stuff. Well, goody then. I never asked anyone to be nice again. But I'm making it a point (especially on the internet) to be nice to people.