Friday, September 7, 2007

I Cleaned My Desk

So, after 3 weeks of staring at the piles on my desk growing larger & more precarious, I decided I'd tear my eyes away from my computer [blogging] to address the natural disaster about to happen. It's amazing what you can find when you start cleaning! And to think, I'm teaching my 2nd "Cleaning on a Schedule" class in a couple of weeks. It's scary!

So now I'm sitting happily at my clean desk in my pajamas that Todd refers to as my "tablecloth" pajamas, and Natalie says, "mom, you look like a picnic"

"gee thanks fam, for that boost to my self-esteem"

But they're 100% cotton just like the sheets I'm about to climb in, and I'm utterly content with my little world at the moment.

Thought I'd make a little post about a booklist I've been generating for a couple of years. I've had so many recommendations lately from friends, family, patients etc. You'd be surprised at how many referrals I get from patients. It's usually the same ole' situation though: I go in their room, we get to talking and I notice a book they're reading and off we go... and they make a recommendation and it's usually "the best book they've ever read" which is typically good enough for me to put it on a list of should reads.

Had a brainstorm to list a few in case anyone was struggling with what to read next. I'll list the authors if I have them:

Dragonfly in Amber
Old Man in the Sea (Hemingway)
Girl With a Pearl Earing (Tracy Chevalier)
Crooked River Burning (Mark Winegardener)
A Widow For a Year (John Irving)
Anne of a Thousand Days

I can't vouche personally for any of these books but since they were all personal recommendations, I plan to endeavor them all in the near future.

Some of you might have read in my profile that my favorite book of all times was "Ride the Wind" by Lucia St. Clair Robson, which incidentally I just purchased on Amazon for 1 cent! I lent my book several years ago to an ex-friend who never gave it back! How rude! Anyway, it's about a Cherokee Indian abduction of a white woman and how she was integrated into their tribe and married their chief. It's a true story but the way it was written...WOW! I actually became that woman and seriously thinking, even now, about that Cherokee chief ....well let's just say, he became the subject of many of my fantasies (don't laugh, I have a fabulous imagination!) It's been many years since I've even read it and oh.my.gosh! He was delicious! Oh.kay. Whatever, I am SO a human female!

On to something else!
After a hilarious discussion with Katie, Kelly, Carly, & Julie over dinner the other night, I humbly concede about my mispronunciation of "machismo":


"machismo
One entry found for machismo.

Main Entry:
ma·chis·mo Pronunciation: mä-'chEz-(")mO, m&-, -'kEz-, -'kiz-, -'chiz-
Function: nounEtymology: Spanish, from macho1 : a strong sense of masculine pride : an exaggerated masculinity2 : an exaggerated or exhilarating sense of power or strength "

This is my Cherokee chief! No lie, one night my ex-husband woke me up for a game of footsie and I thought he was The Chief because I was half-dreaming still, and it was one of the best night of my life. ...who said that?

5 backward glances:

Ute said...

Oh my gosh, you are so funny. Thanks for a good laugh in the morning, and thanks for sharing your book list. I will check them out, as I'm ALWAYS looking for new reads.

Reading your post I had a quick look around me and realized I soooo have to clean up this place. Unfortunately it's not just my crap that is sitting here... There are rulers and hair pins and markers and little pink wallets and thread on here... and I just know those things are NOT mine. :)

I guess I'll have to get to it, huh?

Ellen said...

Oh my freaking gosh, I'm gonna pee I'm laughing so hard at you! (with you, really!) I will DEFINATELY read that book now. I think I've heard of it before...wonder who introduced me to it? I was gonna say someone at church, but from the way you talk about "The Chief" I'm not so sure. By the way, if you're going to read "Dragonfly in Amber" read the first book, which is "Outlander". It's a series of 5 or 6 books so far and they're about Scotland, and talk about the main man, Jamie....I can't even find the words, my face heats up just thinking about him. So, ya. Those are good too.

Shelby said...

Thanks so much, I'm always looking for a good book to read!

Rachel said...

Oh Amy and the Chief!

Janet Ollman (Dr. JO) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.