Thursday, September 6, 2007

Confessions

I was always a little behind in figuring out what was cool. I was always one of the last to figure out the cues my peers were dropping such as...legwarmers were awesome..and then not, that riding the bus was definitely not awesome, backpacks were out and the big Esprit bags were sweet, or that playing a sport (or rather anything) was cooler than marching band.

I've reminisced somewhat about dancing and how it would have been my preferred activity as a kid but my mother was of a different musical nature. We (my sisters and I) started piano lessons before we could read and as soon as we were allowed to start instruments in school, we did. Course now that I think back, how did Renee escape that? She really never did an instrument, hmmmm. Anyhew, I started flute and did well with my backing in piano. I then moved to piccolo, a derivation of flute. Then I went on to saxophone and then clarinet. Flute was always my primary instrument but I also played sax a lot too. I still have my flute even.

From lessons I went to orchestras, and was in advanced orchestras nearly every year until I went into high school. Somehow I got into marching band where I stayed for 2 years (freshman & sophomore) years. After that, I just did orchestra & a little jazz band.

I look back now and am ashamed of myself a little. It took me almost 2 years to figure out that marching band was utterly un-cool and I let it get the best of me. It was actually really fun and gratifying as we marched around the football field in our costumes (Scottish; kilt & all) making the most awesome designs as we played our instruments. I played flute the first year and sax the 2nd. I really did have a great time. And I had a place there whereas when I quit, I never did quite find that place again. This pic is of me my 1st year in marching band. I was a freshman. [my mom was so proud]

I got thinking of my time in marching band because of that single experience then, it's how I measure distances. All of our patterns were based on the yard lines and from now on, I know precisely how far 10 yards is - it's about 8 paces for me.

8 backward glances:

Anonymous said...

It is so true...hind sight is always 20/20. I am of the opinion that I was so clueless in High School. I too was in marching band, played the trombone because my uncle had one and we couldn't afford an instrument. Anyways, looking back, it was a great experience and what an opportunity. Last time I checked they don't have a marching band for mothers. Where else can you get that opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Any chance of your emailing that marching band picture to me? I haven't got it and I would love to add it to my screen saver!!!

Also, have you yet found the original one of us in front of the Cedar Avenue house?

Unknown said...

I don't think marching band is uncool. Who defines cool anyway? I just think it is great that you did something extra curricular in high school!

Amy said...

i should have said i didn't think marching is uncool now. i actually think i look pretty cute in that costume now!

Rachel said...

Amy, you do look cute in the costume. And I am sooo impressed with your music background- I had no idea you were so musically inclined. You should share some of those talents (seriously)

Janet Ollman (Dr. JO) said...

It's not CRAP, it's CPAP. Acronym for something that means assisted breathing. You place this oxygen-type mask over your mouth and nose, and the suction keeps your tongue from going down your throat and cutting off your airway. It helps with snoring, but it's mostly to help with sleep apnea.

Ute said...

That is a very cute picture.

Back in Germany I was always sort of an outcast. I was never in, never wore the clothes that I was supposed to and always said it as I saw it, rather than kissing the popular guy's butt.

I remember loving those really awesome neon colored suspenders that all my classmates were wearing. Half a year later on my birthday my parents went shopping with me and I finally got the suspenders with big smiley faces on them. I went to school oh so proudly... only to be made fun of for being several months late. :(

So glad to be a homeschooler. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I used to say that I got gypped because my instrument was inside me instead of some cool violin or something!