Saturday, September 15, 2007

Finding Definition

It's something I hear a lot about lately. It's on little boards you can hang inside your hallway, sewn onto quilts, and it's the name of books on organizing and controling the chaos.

But what does it mean? If I want to simplify, and if by definition, I do...very much; does it mean I get rid of all my scrapbooking stuff and any other unfinished project that sits in the back of my mind? Does it mean throwing all but 1 cookbook away? What about all the stuff in my storage room - do I give it away? Or do I stop doing anything but the basics:

get up, clean house, make meals, grocery shop, make a pie or 2 for fun and go to bed again.

What would my life look like simplified... how would it feel? Would I like it as much? Would simple be fun?

Tell me...who has a grasp on simplification, other than the Amish, of course? Is that what I really want?

2 backward glances:

Jessica said...

Oh Wow!! I have never looked at it from this angle.. You are so right, though. Is simplification what we need, or is prioritization what we really need? Good food for thought! : ) Thanks, girl!

Anonymous said...

The life of the Amish isn't all that bad, Amy. They raise good, God-fearing (or loving, I should say) children, eat wholesome food, are fit and trim, love their spouses, have a respect for the land, use natural healing methods and, for the most part, are good and healthy...life could be MUCH worse. AND...they're not afraid of losing electricity!