Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lionhouse Rolls - They're Magical


Okay, not really magical but they're the best!

A few months ago, I was on a personal quest to find the best roll recipe. I tried so many different types. Some had sour cream, some had potatoes, some had potatoe water. Some used white flour, others wheat. They were all good rolls but none were GREAT.

My critiera was simple. They had to taste as good as they looked, and vice versa. I wanted them to be so good that I could take them to any event and have people drooling before they even took a bite. Rolls have a way of doing that if they're baked correctly.

I gave up. I decided never to make rolls again. I just couldn't find the right one!

Then, a few people I know started talking about the Lionhouse Rolls recipe. I'd heard of it before, in fact Lionhouse is popular for many great recipes. Lionhouse is primarily a Utah bakery located in the Deseret Book stores. They sell cookbooks too along with a lot of other stuff.

Everyone kept talking about how great these rolls were, so at Thanksgiving, my little sister came and made those rolls in my kitchen. And they fit the bill on all counts!

So, I want to share this great recipe with whoever is interested. Rolls are easy to make if you follow the directions correctly. Bread recipes are not the kind where you "guess", and "estimate". But the rewards for due diligence are so great: the smell, the taste, fresh bread in YOUR kitchen, the accomplishment!

Here's the recipe:

Lion House Dinner Rolls

2 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
2/3 c. instant, nonfat dry milk
2 Tbsp. dry yeast
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening, butter, or margarine
1 egg
5 - 5 1/2 c. flour

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the water and the milk powder and stir so the milk dissolves. Add the yeast to this mixture then the sugar, salt, shortening, egg, and 2 c. flour. Mix on low speed of mixer until ingredients are wet then turn to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and add 2 more cups of flour then mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then turn on medium speed and mix for 2 more minutes. The dough will be getting stiff and you may need to remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in remaining flour by hand. Add approximately 1/2 c. flour and mix well. If the dough is sticky add another 1/2 c. flour and mix again. (this can be done by hand or mixer). The dough should be soft, not sticky, and not stiff. (It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour).

Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour approximately 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil all around the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl so it is covered by the oil. (This helps prevent the dough from drying out). Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size. Sprinkle cutting board or counter with flour and put dough on the flour. It is now ready to cut or shape in desired size rolls. Place on greased baking pans. Let rise in a warm place until the rolls are double in size. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are browned to your satisfaction.

4 backward glances:

Ellen said...

Mmmmm, sooooo hungry!

Jessica said...

Awesome! I have been looking for good rolls. I'll try them out at Christmas!

kelly said...

yup. I've tried this recipe, and they're good. hehe.

La delirante said...

Oh my goodness! Those rolls look absolutely delicious!

I am hungry already :)