Thursday, November 8, 2007

Great Motto

"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." Maya Angelou

If you're like me, you have from time to time, looked back over various times in your life and rolled your eyes as you remember your behavior in some random situation. I take it one step further and go hide in my closet out of sheer embarrassment. I have been such a fool in my life. What's really embarrassing is that even right now, at my old and wise age, I am still exhibiting atrocious behaviors that will no doubt cause me to blush just at the memory of it. I don't know better right now though; I just hope my friends and family forgive me.

I really like this quote that I copied above. It says everything about me, and probably everybody else on this earth. I beat my self up badly for past "behaviors", but really shouldn't. It's all I knew then...and what I learned in those situations is probably why I haven't repeated them again and again.

So, the next time you catch yourself doing something that later you cringe at, just remember that you're just doing what you know, and next time you'll do better.

9 backward glances:

Steve said...

I'm going to have to share this with my son. We all have a tendency to be hardest on ourselves, I think.

Shelby said...

that IS a great motto.

Jessica said...

So true, so true! Shoe Carnival is a store here in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Rachel said...

Hummm, a thinker you are..

Barbara said...

Ain't it the truth, sister!

I love this quote and I'm going to save it.

:-D

Mad goat lady said...

I agree that we are often too hard on ourselves...if we never make mistakes then we can never learn from them.

Forget about any cringe worthy choices you have made in the past and live for today!

Mad goat lady said...

Oh but I forgot to say that I do like that quote too!

Ute said...

I just shared this very same quote with a friend of mine who is struggling with her very difficult boyfriend. I told her that he's doing the best he can at this time in his life. If he knew any better he would do better. Sort of made sense to her. Sort of makes sense to me too. :)

Oh yes... I'm back.

FriendinME said...

yes, good motto.

but... I find that sometimes I know better but do the stupid thing anyhow.

That is when I get exaspirated with myself.