Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Black Friday

It's become a tradition with me and my older sister, who lives just 30 minutes from me, to participate in the Black Friday mad-rush sales event that usually starts typically at 5 AM the day after Thanksgiving. Some stores have even gone so far as to start at midnight for those with a huge shopping compulsion. No, I've actually never considered going. I'm still up yakking.

I've done very well at those sales in years past. I usually am able to get 75% of my shopping done in 5 hours, and it's so fun! My sister and I stay up way too late gabbing, then one of us sleeps in an the other has to go wake them up. We stumble out of the house barely awake, looking like crap because of course we don't bother to shower. We hit about 7-8 different stores and by the time we're done, the SUV is usually completely full - to the brim, window to window!

We get home around 10 AM, and unpack our loot onto the living room floor. Trying to sort out who bought what is always a challege since usually we buy several of the same thing, many things on impulse and forget who we bought things for, etc. You get the idea.

The worst (and actually a sort-of exciting part) of the sales is that you don't get the Black Friday sales flyers until Thanksgiving morning. So you basically have 1 day to decide all the things you want to buy, amongst all the other things you're trying to do that day. A prepared gift list is a must-have in order to make best use of your time.

You should see these parking lots at 5 AM though. They are PACKED! I love the mad rush inside for the hottest deals - I am RUTHLESS! Don't mess with me granny - I don't give a crap if you have a baby in your arms - get out of my way! Just kidding. I'm not that bad. Though did you hear a couple years ago about the lady who, I think, died in a Black Friday sale from being trampled? I'm surprised it doesn't happen every year!

You might think I'm weird for doing this. I don't think I'd do it if I were alone. It would take all the fun out of it not to have someone to shop with. My sister and I are so in-tuned with each other's shopping style by now, we complement each perfectly. One holds the ad, the other watches for the opening in the crowd, each of us has our eye out for a particular thing we're trying to get...watch out! Here we come!

4 backward glances:

Unknown said...

I will be having a baby on black Friday. My friends mom got trampled once and was in the hospital and rehab for months. Be careful:)

Jessica said...

I LOVE Black Friday! Girl, I gather the shopping flyers and start highlighting what I want. It is so methodical, it isn't even funny! : ) I wish we lived closer!

FriendinME said...

I came across this and thought you might be interested. Apparently some of the Black Friday fliers for major stores (Best Buy, Penney's etc) are available online.

If it doesn't ruin your anticipation, you can see them at

http://bfads.net/

:)

Jay a.k.a. 'Dat' said...

but those crowds are RUTHLESS! seriously lol... i thought about it a couple times but had a bad experience before lol!

Jay
DatMoney.com
DatCurious.com