Thursday, November 15, 2007

I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself

While engaged in some blog lurking this evening, I came across a new blog that I really enjoy. Her name is Melanie, and her blog is This Aint New York. She has a post that I wanted to share and so, with her permission (I did ask her), I've posted the whole thing. Here it is:

Hello, My name is...

I was sipping some citrus-flavored mineral water at a party when she asked me.It was a Let's get together and chat, have some tasty appetizers, listen to a presentation about home-based business, and then browse through a catalogue of gorgeous items while considering our budgets because some of us do not work home-based, mall-based, or otherwise-based kind of party.
And I do love me some tasty appetizers.

And shopping from my neighbor's easy chair.

So she asked me. She wasn't the first. Someone else at the party had asked the same thing.
"What do you do?"

As I swallowed my sip of citrus-flavored mineral water, I paused for a moment, considering her possible response, and I answered, "I am a Stay At Home Mom."

"Oh."

Several years ago, I would not have left it at that. I would have recited my resume of accomplishments, some fairly remarkable, but most not. I would have explained the whys and the how's and the maybe one days.

But not anymore.

Oh, I could tell her what I do. I do laundry. I do dishes. I do the floors. I do the grocery shopping. I even do windows, on occasion.

I get up in the morning, still sleepy from the night before, and I roll out of bed and shuffle to the coffee maker. I start warming the frozen pancakes for breakfast and then trod up the stairs to wake my sleepy daughter for school.

I trod back down the stairs, trying not to trip over the cat who thinks she is supposed to be the first one fed. Then I check on the microwaved pancakes, pour on the syrup (I don't skimp) and set the plate at the kitchen counter, calling upstairs for my sleepy daughter to come down to eat or we will be late this morning.

Meanwhile, my husband is getting ready for work and I am trying to make sure he has clean clothes, and tell him a quick Good Morning before he rushes out the door.
Once I get the sleepy daughter to eat, get dressed and brush her teeth and do a good job or you will end up at the dentist with a cavity, I head out the door in my sweats, no make-up, except for some under-eye concealer and take my daughter to school before I start my day of doing laundry, doing dishes, and doing the grocery shopping.

But the woman at this party eating spinach-artichoke dip doesn't really want to know all of that. She doesn't really want to know what I do. What she really wants to know is who I am.
For some women, who they are is so tightly woven into what they do, that they soon lose who they are. When asked, they say, "I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a teacher. I am a doctor." Yes, they are all of those things, and all of those things are so very important in forming who they are.

And what about me? I am a wife. I am a mother. I am a Stay At Home Mom. I am a Sunday School teacher. I am all of those things, but lately, I am learning and listening and seeing that there is only one job, one identity that is truly important.

I am His.

So when I am doing the laundry and the dishes, and even the windows, my prayer is that I will reflect what Christ would have me be through Him. I fail miserably, mostly when I try to do everything in my own strength. It is when I give it all to God, that His Love shines through, not mine. Only when I humble myself and remember what I am not, can I share with other people what an awesome God He is.My prayer, my hope, is that when people meet me, they won't wonder what I do, or who I am. They won't even want to know anything about me, but somehow through my faith and failures in this imperfect life I live, they will want to know The God who helps me through it all.They will only see Him for Who He is.

They will see His goodness. His mercy. His love. And they will turn to Him and say, "Nice to meet you."

4 backward glances:

Ellen said...

Wow. Post title: ditto.

Anonymous said...

I agree...well said! It is hard to not get lost in the wordly "who and I's" and keep the eternal "who am I" in the forefront. Thanks for the good reminder, I agree whole heartedly. Went to see Savior of the World last night (it was WONDERFUL) and it made me think. I see these signs that say "I Believe" and then there is a picture of Santa. That sign and the power of the musical mentioned above make me want to go out and have a huge banner made that says "WE BELIEVE" and put a picture of Christ on it. I'd get a sticker for my car too. For that is what the season is about. That is what WE are about. We are HIS.

Anonymous said...

OOPs! I should have proof read. That should say it's hard to not get lost in the worldly "who AM I's"

Rachel said...

I needed this perspective this week. I have certainly been asking the question, "who am I", Thank you Melanie for the reminder of what is really important in life!