Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One Week To Live

I read a post today over on Charles Hamel's blog about having a week left to live. It was hypothetical, and he wanted to know what you'd do if you knew you only had a week left.

I asked for permission to post my answer here. It intrigued me, that question. A week just isn't very much time!

What would I do?

He asked if I would try to mend any broken fences, like relationship type things. The answer to that is no. I believe that who you encounter here will also be encountered in the after-life and so there is time for that, not to mention a good deal of perspective.

Would I hit my knees in a last ditch attempt to redeem my soul? Probably a little. I don't think many people can honestly say they wouldn't say a few heart-felt prayers *just in case*. Not that at this point do I think that would make any difference whatsoever.

Here are 5 things I'd do in the week before I knew I'd die:

1) write a very long letter to my now 3 year old daughter for her to read when she's 20
2) let my 3 year old sleep with me every single night
3) share a whole cheesecake with whomever wanted to (as long as I got the majority, lol)
4) have a small, intimate party with family and close friends
5) spend every last waking moment with my husband and daughter

It just occurred to me that none of these things need to wait until the last week of my life.

7 backward glances:

Anonymous said...

hi mom, don't even think to die.. :cry: keep da spirit to life.. at least we've still had a hope

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of the Tim McGraw song, "Live Like You Were Dying" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mHaFMqde6A Love the song and the thought and action that it provokes. I would definately write letters to my kids to be given to them at different mile stones in their life and I would leave a Mom's advice Journal sharing my thoughts and advice on different topics. And I would make a video so they can see, hear, and feel my love for them. I would do the same for Carl.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I must add that I would make sure and leave my written and verbal testimony behind and I would soak up as much snuggles and loves as I possibly could. I would sleep as little as possible, do a lot of pondering and hope that I would feel peace so that i didn't waiste my week crying my head off. If I didn't have the peace, I would certainly hit my knees until I got it and ask for strength. I wouldn't want to be all torn up for the last week I'd have with my husband and kids.

Tarasview said...

yep, I would leave letters to my kids too. And videos of me talking to them. And reading them stories and stuff. And I would just spend all day hugging them and snuggling with my hubby!

Anonymous said...

Since I don't have children at this moment, I would spend every precious moment I could get with my Husband.

The Napiers said...

Perfect! Love ya girl.

Charles Hamel said...

Wonderful answer! When we ask ourselves this question it really puts life into perspective.

Thanks for the answer to that question~