Thursday, April 3, 2008

Indoor Vegetable Garden

In February, when I planted my little indoor vegetable garden, it was the first time I'd used these lights and done it this particular way. I covered all of the plants with plastic wrap to keep the humidity in. I didn't take into account the natural humidity in the room and all of the seeds and peat containers molded away.

All except this box of peas which have been doing amazingly well! You can't really see it but they are winding all of the place trying to find places to attach themselves to. I'll want to put them outside soon.

I replanted all of the other seeds today. I figure that they can just grow as much as they can until mid-May and then take the whole peat pot and plant it, after a little hardening off. I'm really excited!

Hope they do better than the last planting! I've got lots of things here that I've never planted before.

7 backward glances:

Laura Brown said...

My brother does that every year too. He grows a ton of tomatoes and peppers in his backyard every summer. Nothing as nice as a tomato fresh picked on a sunny day. Still warm from the sun when you bite into it. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to start a garden, but I don't know where to start. I don't have a green thumb and I don't know what will even grow here (for someone without a green thumb!)

Good for you for doing it from scratch!

josey said...

bummer about the mold! i wouldnt have thought of that, either. at least you started plenty early and now your harvests wont come TOO late!

the peas are adorable. hehe. i love their tender little tendrils that wind around string and little posts. plus they are SO YUMMY :)

i've been slacking this year planning my garden. i need to get motivated! its taking me a long time to get in the "spring" mood because of all the snow we've had--which is FINALLY gone i think as of a few days ago. *crosses fingers*

i want to grow tons of mixed greens, maybe even some beets and garlic! then of course the usual--grape tomatoes, peppers, and cukes! i tried italian pole beans last year and didnt like the taste. i'd like to find another green bean that trellises well but tastes good, too!

cant wait to see your garden started in a few months!

Anonymous said...

I'd really love to have an indoor garden, as I love fresh vegetables. I'm not able to plant any outside as I don't have my own separate yard. We are going to be moving in a few months, so hopefully my next place will at least have room for an indoor garden. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Laura: I think I should have planted some tomatoes! Nothing is quite as satisfying as harvesting a tomatoe from a plant you nurtured from seed. I just need to gain the confidance. Perhaps next year.

Ben: good luck! It's really pretty easy. Just make sure you use the peat pots; it makes transplant so much easier on the little baby plant.

Nicole: it's pretty easy! just get yourself a fluorescent light (special growing bulbs), some peat pots, soil & seeds and you're off! I'm sure you'll do great!

josey: i should have done beets and perhaps I will straight into the outside garden. my mom has the best pickled beets recipe. if you want it, i'll email it to you. it's AWESOME! i'm sure that now that your snow is gone, you'll get your springtime motivation.

Saph said...

Neat, where exactly do you have your indoor garden? I'm looking into getting an earthbox or the Bloom Master Planter. I want to grow strawberries, tomatoes, beans, and cucumbers.

Amy said...

Saph: this little garden is in a an unfinished storage room in my basement that is actually under my carport so it's not insulated or anything making it the perfect "spring-like" weather. and it's nice and humid. i'm sure that whatever room you use would be fine though if you just are conscious of the heat and humidity levels and adjust accordingly! good luck! you'll do great!