Friday, August 14, 2009

What Do We Do With All the Tomatoes

So I've currently got a whole sink full of tomatoes and another crop to pick probably today or tomorrow. I'm giving them away by the bagload to people that I see or that stop by. For people that don't have a garden, I know they love it.


Every year I can a whole bunch of tomatoes - just like the stewed tomatoes you buy canned at the store...and I really us them a lot! I know some poeple don't know what to do with them but I've never had a problem finding uses for stewed tomatoes...soups, noodle dishes, spaghetti sauce, and casseroles. I nearly always get through last year's supply before the summer comes around again.

This year I will bottle the stewed tomatoes like years previous because if I don't, I'll hate myself everytime I have to buy a can at the store. But I had another idea to bottle sundried tomatoes. It would be easy enough I think! Just slice them, dehydrate them and pack them in oil. At that point, I don't know if I'd need to pressure cook them or if I could steam can them. I'd have to look into that. Wouldn't that be a great idea? They are so good in so many things!

If anyone else has good ideas for what to do with all the tomatoes (besides tomato juice - I've thought about it and just don't use it very much!) - I'm all ears!

0 backward glances: