Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

I watched this last night and LOVED...loved it!

I have always loved movies from this time period where the dress and speech are equally fancy.

Natalie Portman is absolutely incredibly beautiful. She was sort of a seductress in this movie; a role I've never seen her play but she was amazing. Scarlett Johansen played a fantastic nice-girl.

The worst part about the movie was that I watched it with my 14 year old niece who had lots of questions. Come on, the movie is about adultery, sex, and um, more sex. I had lots of explaining do such as terms like "consummate a marriage", and why the King needed to be"diverted" and what the heck "diverting" means in that context, and why the parents were encouraging Mary to cheat on her husband with the King. Interestingly, she didn't know that this was a true story. Wow! I thought everyone knew this story! I even know what happens to these people's kids but then I'm not 14.

I'm not sure my sister would want her daughter delving into these complicated moral issues at such an early age (not to mention me explaining them to her). I'm pretty protective and I know I wouldn't want SP wanting it at 14. But it was rated PG-13, how was I to know?

0 backward glances: