Thursday, August 2, 2007

When I was a Kid

When I was little:

I hated lima beans...and I still hate them now.
I stapled my finger to a wall...the other day I nearly sewed my finger to some pajama bottoms.
I made forts to sit in by myself...now I make myself whole rooms where I hang out by myself.
I whistled loudly to anyone...now I whistle under my breath as I work & now Nat does it too.
I wanted a pottery wheel so much...now I plan to take a class someday soon.
I made up stories about fairies & goblins to tell my sister...now I write them down to someday publish.
I loved to read book after book...now I still do it just like that only with bigger books.
I followed my mom around the house...now I have someone following ME around the house.
I ate Doritos by the bag...now I eat Doritos by the bag in my closet where no one can see my sick vice.
I couldn't WAIT until I could drive...now I still love to drive as much as the first time I ever did.
I couldn't stand the white meat on the turkey...I still would rather eat my toe than white meat.
I loved getting new clothes (ask mom)...it's still one of my most favorite things.
I used to bite my fingernails clear off...now I just look at them and wish I could chew them off (old habits die hard).
I was extremely sentimental...I'm still so sentimental that I have to keep getting bigger houses to hold all my stuff!

For all the changes we make growing up, some things remain the same.

2 backward glances:

Rachel said...

When I was a kid I would hide in my room and read, mostly to escape the torment of my brother and sister... now I read to escape the world.
I can't believe you remember all that stuff.

Grammy said...

When I was a kid, I loved to read, too, and I still do! In fact, my friends and I traded books alot. We would take a quilt up into the foothills, which is now Eagle Wood, and spread it inside a circle of scrub oak bushes and read the summer afternoons away. We had formed a book club, and didn't even know it! What an interesting blog entry. I love how your mind works!