Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sometimes I Hate Being a Grownup

Today has been one of those blah grown-up days. My day started out with weeding my overgrown garden: NOT FUN!!! I got a singular break around noon to go to a little neighborhood picnic which was relaxing but as soon as I got home, it was back to my desk for more grown-up stuff. I wish I could say I'm getting paid for this crap but I'm not. I've just let the piles on my desk stack up with paperwork for so many weeks that they were threatening to topple onto the floor creating a fire hazard if I didn't sort through and resolve some issues. Not to mention my home & car would be repossessed if I didn't pay a few bills.

I haven't grocery shopped in 3 months (or whenver that last weird post about the checker was) and it's a good thing I am such a pack rat or we'd be eating old phone books. In fact, I scrounged bean & cheese burritos for dinner last night but at least they were homemade and not the frozen kind. They were actually pretty good I must say although I think it was the addition of fresh tomatoes of which I have ample supply. That and monster zucchini's are coming out of my ears. If anyone would like zucchinis or tomatoes, please feel free to stop by and pillage my garden. I swear no one including the DH will mind. We feel bad that so much is wasted.

So a good portion of my afternoon went toward figuring out what the heck I wanted to buy at the grocery store - making a list of meals and comparing it to the list of all the excess I have in my freezer outside. I could seriously go into business as a frozen food supplier...

In other news I got a bug in my bum to go looking for my favorite song of all time on iTunes today seeing as my CD was stolen some years ago out of my car and I got thinking of it today. It's Forever Young by Alphaville and I have always favorited (did I just make that word up?) the more upbeat dance remix. But to my tremendous pleasure, it has been remade several new ways and each one is just a more fun version of the dance mix so I bought them all and enjoyed an endless afternoon of my favorite song sung lots of different ways. There are advantages to being grown-up I suppose.

2 backward glances:

Carly said...

We would love some zuchinni!

Rachel said...

Amy, Forever Young was my Junior Prom theme song. At the time I thought everyone was so lame for picking such a cliche song, but I see now that the words "Let us die young or let us live forever" does have some merit.
I can't believe you haven't bought groceries in so long.. just think of all the money you have saved.
I think the reason why you like Forever Young is exactly why you despised the tedious tasks of adulthood, as teenagers we dreamed about having money, freedom and success. As adults we realized the irony that we had much more freedom as teenagers.. we had everything and nothing and didn't realize what we had until it passed.
Isn't that why we have children, to live via them the dreams we didn't embrace when we had the chance.