Saturday, August 18, 2007

Serves Me Right

Last Saturday night after Todd's 20 year reunion, he talked me into going with him to his hometown's podunk bar. In my earnest attempts to meet him halfway, I comply. It was smoky, hot and very crowded but he was having a great time yucking it up with all his old friends so I didn't want to complain until I'd for sure had too much. Somewhere amid my efforts to make small-talk with people I have nothing in common with, and doing my best to stare down and/or impress his high school girlfriend ... I got locked in the girl's bathroom. Here's me: completely sober, very hot dressed in long sleeves locked in a grimy, half-lit potty for 1. While about 4 past-drunk girls yelled at me to "let go of the handle" and "well, that handle's been broken for 6 months and I'VE never gotten locked in", I yelled for someone to "go get my husband" to which I heard nothing but giggles. Finally my knight in shining armor comes charging up & threatens to kick the door in unless they get his wife out pronto. All I heard was, "I can't wait to see the dumbass who got herself locked in there!" This is where my husband is from. Is it just me or...

p.s. i'm sure my smoke "hangover" was by far worse than any other person in that bar that night. Serves me right.

1 backward glances:

Rachel said...

Yup, the girls from Duchesne are quality. At least Todd came to your rescue. Just think, it will be a story you can laugh about with him, and use as another reason why Natalie should avoid bars altogether :)
I'm proud of you just for going to the reunion. Small town crowds can be ruthless.