Friday, August 27, 2010

A Month of Great Books

This has been the best month ever for books. I recall mentioning just a couple weeks ago that it's rare I find a book that keeps enthralled to the point where I can't put it down. And then I found Hunger Games and its sequels (of which I am eagerly awaiting the third book to arrive from Amazon right now). The first two books of Hunger Games occupied me for a couple of days because I literally devoured them. So good!

And then I was at the library last week on Friday and picked up A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. It's a thick book, just my type. It's also a trilogy. All three books are very thick, allowing a reader to thoroughly immerse oneself long-term in the story. You might remember I used to judge a book solely based on how thick it was - the true definition of a book junkie.

I read A Great And Terrible Beauty in 1 day. I got to the library Saturday just in time to pick up the other two books in the trilogy before it closed for the weekend. I read the 2nd book before I went to bed Sunday night. But since the workweek requires me to do more than sit on my butt reading a book, I allowed myself to read for about an hour in the morning, and then a couple hours at night during the week. I finished The Sweet Far Thing, Book III today...and I very nearly cried because I really detest getting to the end of a trilogy. Something akin to my life being over. I allow myself to lose myself in books and I guess part of my personality is yanked away when a book is done.

Anyway, I loved these books....a lot. Loved. They had just enough of all things I like about books, mystery, fantasy, just a smidgen of romance, suspense, and the Victorian era. So if you're looking for somewhere to let your imagination run wild, look no further.

0 backward glances: