Thursday, August 5, 2010

Crossfit

So I started this morning. It was just the first session, sort of helping me figure out where things are, how things go etc. It wasn't bad...yet. I did get a little workout but nothing compared to what I will be getting.

I heard about Crossfit from a girlfriend of mine who started it about 3 years ago. It took her about 6 months before we started noticing how amazing she was looking. She'd always had a nice shape but now it was lean and defined and so tone!

I've been planning to s tart for about 2 years now but the baby interrupted my plans and then I was too heavy for a while to consider it. Now that things are different, I want to maintain my weight and shape it into more lean muscle mass. I figured the time was right and amazingly they have opened a Crossfit right here just about 2 miles from my house! Even better!

So what's Crossfit? It's like 1/2 hour of intense boot camp. Well I'm sure you've seen those Boot Camp gyms around...it's not Boot Camp but the workouts are totally intense boot camp type routines that integrate running/sprinting, pull-ups, push-ups, weight training etc. It's all over the top hard and intense for a short period of time. You're in and out in a short period of time.

My first impressions are these: Instructor dude wears too much Abercrombie cologne. I'm not sure why he's wearing cologne at all at 5:30 in the morning but I guess he feels like he needs it. Thursday is sort of a rest day so there weren't many people there. The two other people that were there besides me were a guy who shaves his legs (WTH), and a girl who obviously got up at 4AM to shower, do her hair, put on her make-up and coordinate her work-out clothes. I'm not sure I get that either. Besides that, it's exactly what I thought it would be like. Sparse sort of industrial-type building full of weights. Perfect.

4 backward glances:

Stephanie Vincent said...

Hello there. I have been doing crossfit for about a year. When I started I weighed 320lbs, had never done anything more than curves and cardio, never played a sport, etc...

But from the very first WOD i fell in love with crossfit. I LOVE the intensity. In fact its a spiritual practice for me. The intensity of the workouts puts me smack dab in the present moment (where i'd like to be all the time).

Feel free to check out my blog for more about me and my crossfit love :-) www.radicalhateloss.com

Travis Kepp said...

Stick with it! Not sure about the cologne and shaved legs but CrossFit is by far the best thing to get fit and relax the mind. Let me know if you have any questions.
cfctravis.crossfitchampions.com

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma said...

Hi!

I stumbled in from your blogpost linked off BlogHer (Chewed Up...) but then I saw your Crossfit post. I'm not a fanatic, but I'm married to one. My hubs is flat out sold on it. I've just started doing a similar bootcamp workout and am feeling good about feeling good (despite how miserable I feel during the process). Enjoy the burn!

Amy said...

Thanks guys! Day 2 and I'm sore but not dying. Think Abercrombie's being a little easy on me so far. Next week's sure to be quite a bit harder as he might be taking off the kid gloves.