Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chewed Up & Spit Out ...and then some other stuff

That's how I feel today. I'm betting that you can guess why based on my last post. I found time yesterday to go pick up Catching Fire at the library and you know I was dying to read it. I put the kids down at 9 and even though I was soooo tired already, like DOG tired, I opened up that book. Told myself it would only be a few minutes but it ended up 2:30 in the morning when I finally finished it and put it down. It's pretty rare I find a book that I can't put down and now there's been 2 in 2 weeks! I love these books!

But a person's day doesn't just get put on hold because a good book kept them up all night. I did sleep in until 8:30, as far as I could push the kids, and after I got them breakfasted, dressed and gave myself a power breakfast of cereal marshmallows, was off and running to my first set of swim lessons for the day. Swim lessons are a necessary EVIL. The are so important I believe, but their repetitive nature drives me insane. I don't do ANYTHING for 2 weeks straight at the very same time, so this begins to wear on me. I'm just a little too spontaneous for this obnoxious routine. That's just me though.

On a completely different subject, I stopped at Ye Olde Fruit Stand this morning to buy a watermelon. Here it is.
The little sales dude was really enthusiastic about getting me the best melon ever. And he tells me that these little black spots on this one are bee stings. He says, "you always know you're getting a great watermelon when you see these black spots because they're actual bee stings. Bees love watermelons because they're so sweet. That black is the sap running out."

I have a number of thoughts about this. The main one is this. Don't bees die after they sting? Doesn't this seem like a galacticly wasteful use of one's life? I mean, I've heard of someone "dying for this or that" but this is ridiculous!

So, either this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's thinking I don't know the most common thing about bees, or he's being truthful. Who's to know.

Either way, the watermelon is great. And next time you see these little black spots on a watermelon, it's up to you to decide if 3 separate bees gave their life for just a taste of this perfect specimen or if back in July 2010, the 16 year old Fruit Stand Boy was taking Amy for a ride.

About painting. The Marshmallow is having mercy on me and has decided to spray Bugs' room. Why he didn't offer this last week is beyond me. But because of Catching Fire, I got nothing achieved last night whatsoever. So he's coming home early and going to get the job done much faster. *sigh*

Last thing...tomorrow morning at 5:30, I start Crossfit! I'm so excited I'm going to pee my pants right now! But I'm also absolutely petrified. I've heard it's awesome but a huge suck-fest. Check back - I'll be reporting.

3 backward glances:

Aislinn said...

Hey... I've heard about the black spots before - but it was ANTS on Satsuma's (a southern fruit). When the Satsuma has a bunch of black spots it's good and ripe - and I've never been disappointed!
Glad to hear those books are good - I've been wanting to read them. And finally - what is this "suck-fest" you are talking about?!

Ellen said...

"Doesn't this seem like a galacticly wasteful use of one's life?" FAVORITE QUOTE EVAR! "Galacticly wasteful..." perfect!

Amy said...

Aislinn: check out my newest Crossfit post. I think you might really like it!

Ellen: EVAR!