Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What Am I Doing With my Time?

Similar to the theory that most women rotate about 10 different meals at any particular time, I have about 5 activities that I rotate through that take about 30-40% of my time. I finally figured this out!

And now that I have figured it out, I think I can put some structure around it and dominate the pattern rather than have it dominate me!

The activities that I constantly find myself involved in are, to no surprise, the ones that interest me the most. I engage in them at the end of the day; they're the ones that distract me from doing the things that SHOULD be done. They are the activities that will never end because I like them so much, I keep doing them. You'll see what I mean when you see my list. Here they are:

1) reading
2) scrapbooking
3) blogging or other computer *crap*
4) family history (i LOVE this)
5) watching movies

The very nature of these activities lend themselves to NEVER being done, which can be a problem, or it could be good because that way, I'm never bored of them!

So, do you have a top 5? Top 3? What are they? Am I so different from you?

14 backward glances:

Carly said...

I am with you on some of yours. Reading, Watching Movies, and computer time for sure. The scrapbooking one I would like to but can't seem to make the time lately. And the family history one is something I never do, oops. My mom and my father in law do tons so for now I don't feel the need. I also enjoy listening to music while enjoying some of the other activities. I also like to bake, which I try not to do too much because I usually eat way more than necessary.

Amy said...

I'm years ahead of myself on the FH. I went to that FH fair this past weekend and I was seriously the youngest person there! it was funny! I wish I could bake more, but like you - I'd eat EVERYTHING in sight! It's hard not to sample your own baked goods and then they sit on the counter for days tempting you! Better to bake for a cause and then get it out of your house!

Anonymous said...

Not so different. We have several in common. I guess I'm a good Carly/Amy mix in my time consuming, fun hobbies. I enjoy the reading, movies, computer time is a big chunk of time (YIKES!), I am just beginning to dabble in Family History although I have been counseled to do it several times it still aludes me...I feel lost without a place to start, I love to bake but for the same reasons listed above do not bake as much as I would like to. I like to create my own recipes. I prefer digital scrapbooking but since I have started a blog I haven't done even that too much. And now that it is nice out...I enjoy sports of all kinds.

Gypsy at Heart said...

Not at all. In fact,
1. Ditto.
2. Cooking or perusing cookbooks and planning menus.
3. Ditto.
4. Watching movies (bumped it up to #4).
5. Some more reading.

Agree with you wholeheartedly. I will never be done with these because we have to eat (on a daily basis), I have to read (or my eyes will shrivel up and dry). I have to watch movies (or my imagination will suffer - actually, that is also the same reason why I read).
And blogging... well, that's a new one but it HAS become necessary. It's how I've met wonderful people like you. How could that kind of activity ever bore me Amy?

Rachel said...

1) My time seems to be gobbled up with cleaning. I am constantly cleaning, but I like it, it gives me great satisfaction to have a clean home & clean clothes.
2) I've started reading more, especially with the online book club!
3) Attending to the needs of the boys.
I need to do FH! Oh teach me old wise one..

Amy said...

Christy: I responded via email but to reiterate, I'll help in any way I can. The beginning can be intimidating.

Gypsy: i feel the same about books and reading. like I told Carly, I don't try to bake much because then I'd eat way too much of it all. And you all know how much I HATE cooking.

Amy said...

Rachel: i know you love to clean...i love to organize but i love other things more (like reading and movies). in terms of FH, I would love to help you. but you first have to have the desire...

Steve said...

1. Eating. I eat six times a day... About every three hours.
2. Putzing on the computer.
3. Grappling... Probably 10 to 15 hours each week are spent training.
4. Reading... A lot
5. Zoning out while my wife watches tv. I am good at zoning out. :)

Anonymous said...

1. Blogging/internet time suck.
2. TV/Movie Watching.
3. Being with friends.
4. Cleaning/decorating the house.
5. Reading and falling asleep.

Heidi Sue said...

I feel the same way, One thing that seems to never be done is my house work, right when the house looks good the kids come home from school. So here is my list:
1.Cleaning/Laundry
2.Journal
3.Scrapbooking
4.Life/ always something new to stress,or do.

josey said...

this is a great post, amy!

here's mine, and the time spent on each of these varies!

1. domestic stuff (i have 4 dogs and a cat...there's always cleaning up to do! LOL. but it always includes LOUD fun music in the background. hehe.)

2. computer time (half work--i work at home; half play, including blogging and puter games)

3. cooking/planning meals (i separated this from domestic because its somewhat a hobby as well!)

4. reading!

5. spending time with hubby! (talking, traveling, watching fave TV shows, playing games)

6. outdoor activities - my personal fave :) (gardening, mowing, playing with dog, walking...not so much of this during the winter, but it will pick up soon!)

that was fun :) hehe. but you're right, it helps to take inventory of what we are actually spending our time doing--no sense in letting less important tasks rule!!

josey said...

oops, i meant 4 CATS and one DOG. ;) but still, a lot of pet hair either way. haha :)

Unknown said...

hi friend


Yuwie - New Social $$$$ Community

Amy said...

steve: i should have put eating too! I like that "putzing" on the computer. that's really what it is, isn't it?

kat: i know, computer time does suck in a way - so why do we keep doing it? 'cuz we love it! it's totally contradictory!

heidi: yes, but are those the things you truly "enjoy" doing! i'm not talking about the stuff we have to do, i'm talking about the stuff that we end up doing because it's what we LIKE to do. lol - quit cleaning! yeah, listen to me talk.

josey: i know you love to cook and plan your meals. i think you're probably really good at it too from the meals you've told me about. btw, you LIKE to mow? hmmm.