Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Death In the Family

A few nights ago, I had the most terrible dream that all of my fish and marine life had died. It was seriously the closet thing I've had to a nightmare in a really, really long time. The dead fish were larger than life and just awful!

When I woke up, I was so relieved to realize it had just been a dream.

And then I went in the kitchen.

My heart broke when I saw that my new little fish was floating around near the bottom.

Here's the deal. It was entirely my fault. I made a bad assumption when I didn't stop to consider food and different feeding schedules. This was not the same type of fish that I already have and he doesn't eat the same, nor in the same way. The clown fish are eating off the top, flakes. This other little guy wanted his food floating around in the tank and near the bottom. Plus, he wanted it a little more frequently.

So basically, I saved two clown fish from death, and then starved another one. 2/3.

With new information, a repentant heart and correct food - I bought a new fish of the same variety and will start over. I pray I'm a better mom to this new one.

7 backward glances:

Gypsy at Heart said...

You gave me quite a jolt with that title. Sorry the little guy didn't survive and I am happy you got another one. Floating dead fish give me the willies.

Amy said...

gypsy: it really did. it took a few hours to get over it and take him out of there! i just would walk by and try to ignore him. bad, huh?

ben: it would have been nice if he could have told me what was wrong!

josey said...

a few months ago one of my plecostemuses died (aka algae sucker!). id had him since for about 4 years. the sad part, is that he was perfectly healthy! and he was BIG for my 20gal tank...about 7 inches or so. he was just a mini thing when i got him. he was very entertaining--always splashing at the top of the water, driving my cats wild! hehe.

anyhoo, one day i didnt see him in the tank and i was like HUH? and then i saw it--he had gotten himself stuck in a fake coral that'd been in the tank for a few years! he dug it up and got inside it--i have no idea why, it was very small and i dont know how he even got in it! it was so sad, his head was sticking out and he couldnt get the rest of himself out :( so, i tried to help him cause he was severely wedged in there. i knew he was going to die but i couldnt leave him in it!

eventually with my help, he wriggled enough to get out all the way. but his one gill was badly damaged and within a few hours, he died. i cried! i felt so horrible i left that stupid coral in there! i threw it away. and it was very hard for me to scoop him out of the tank. i suppose i learned a lesson, but i still feel guilty i didnt "fish proof" my tank! :\

so dont worry, your new little baby will do just fine now that his caretaker is armed with experience!! ((hugs))

Amy said...

josey, that's terrible! i'm sorry!

JesieBlogJourney said...

I remember I had cried in my sleep when I dreamed that someone in my family died and was happy that it was just a dream.

I had made mistakes feeding fish too. I gave them far too much food. I never knew that could also kill them. I thought they would eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full.

Amy said...

Jesie: i guess fish aren't that bright to know when they are full! it's easy to over-feed them - they always look hungry! my clown fish get excited WHENEVER i even walk up to the tank so i figure they are looking forward to eating because they are hungry!

Rachel said...

Where is the Idol update? I'm dying to see what you thought of the last two nights. Danny really has to go, he bugs!
Oh, and sorry to hear about the fish. You're so funny about those little critters.