Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Can't Women Be More Like.....Me?

If you are a fan of the movie, "My Fair Lady", you'll know this line well. It's a song in the movie and a self-centered man sings it about how everyone should be just like him so as to make the world an easier place to get along in.

In a way, this song strikes a chord with me and could it be because I'm self-centered? I don't know. I was talking to a friend recently about personality types, shyness vs. being outgoing and what it's like to have those characteristics.

Natalie is very outgoing. For instance we went to Cherry Hill today and she had no one to play with. She's an only child; it happens frequently. A mom and her kids, including a 3 year old girl sat right by us. True to form, Natalie followed this little girl around for about 10 minutes until the girl finally started playing with her. Maybe she knew she wouldn't be able to get rid of her unless she played. But here's me sitting next to her mom and bored. I start talking to her mom. Was she shy? Was she having a bad day? Who knows, but she seriously would not talk to me! And this happens a lot!

I am more like my dad in this way and will strike up a conversation with just about anyone for a few minutes just to ease the boredom of a grocery line, sitting at Cherry Hill by myself or whatever. But I've noticed that about 50% of women just won't talk back! Whatever! I KNOW it's not because they don't like me. They don't know enough not to like me so what's up with them? Are they just naturally introverts, are they rude, or are they just shy? It doesn't make any sense to me! I don't want a lifelong friendship; I'm just a happy person!

I'M FRIENDLY...WHY CAN'T YOU BE FRIENDLY TOO, AND WE CAN BE FRIENDLY TOGETHER! I won't keep trying, it's not my nature. Like me and my friend discussed, we hope Nat won't get disgusted either and quit trying. I feel bad for her rejection though!

2 backward glances:

Rachel said...

Amen. I've actually had this thought as well this week. Moving into the new ward & neighborhood I have said hello to everyone, and tried to strike up conversations with anyone near me to help ease the awkwardness of being the "new girl". I've been calling women in the ward to ask them if they are interested in creating a play group with 4 years olds, to help past the day for Brodie and to help me meet other moms ( I need something to look forward to each week mostly just to fight the urge to go shopping just to pass the time). Out of 3 or 4 calls only one mom was remotely interested, the others probably thought I was a crazy woman. I feel bad for introverts, what goes on in their quiet heads. I would go crazy if it were me of loneliness just being by meself! I too have a lot of my dad in me (Chad says this often). However, I often stick my foot in my mouth trying to be friendly, Amy beware :)

Anonymous said...

Today we were at the DMV waiting in a huge line and this odd teenage boy kept trying to strike up a conversation. I thought he was kind of weird, so I was giving these short, one word responses to his questions. So, he gave up on me, and started talking to my boys. He even did a few magic tricks that really dazzled them. I eventually warmed up. ANYWAY....my point is that maybe people think you're a weirdo, and if you knew some cool magic tricks, that might break the ice.