Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ancestors

My next door neighbor spoke in church today about his ancestors and I was absolutely transfixed! I was aware that he was very interested in his family history but I had no idea he had managed to find such details about his ancestors!

I too have had a strong desire in the past year to find out about my ancestors. One in particular is my great-great grandmother, whose name is Susan Lukas-Zajic-Roberts. She actually emmigrated from one of the Scandinavian countries when she was in her twenties, had four children 2 of which died when they were children. She moved with her family to Pennsylvania where her husband was a coal-miner. Coal-mining in those days was very dangerous work, and I can't imagine the stress she was under each day as she worried about her husband and her family. Other than these few facts, however, I've not been able to find out much else and am envious of my neigbor for all of the wonderful information he has found.

This particular weekend, where in Utah we celebrate the Pioneers, I am so grateful for the sacrifices that my ancestors made, LDS or not. To uproot oneself from your native country to travel to an unknown country where hopefully things are better is a huge & scary risk, especially to do so with very young children. Many of my ancestors did so and I am so honored they did. Here I sit in my comfortable, climate-controlled house in a country where I say and do what I please is only because of the sacrifices & trials of strong-willed people in my family. My daily decisions ("should I go float in the pool, or should I clean house today") would likely seem superfluous and rediculous to them. I hope there are other ways in which I make them proud!


Some Ancestors Unknown to Me - possibly great-grandparents??

2 backward glances:

Rachel said...

I had the same experience today, as the speakers talked about their Pioneer Heritage. I only know one story of my Great Great Grandma Ann Brooks, she was so stubborn that she refused to cross the river without her piano. So she sat on the riverbank and played while everyone else crossed and they rode on without her. Milo Bowthorpe was in charge of her party and when he heard that she was left behind he went back to get her, they had to drive a team up the river to a ferry and cross and then catch up to the rest of the group. They were later married when they reach SLC. I wish I knew more about my FH.. You're an inspiration to just do it. I finally have the time...

Ellen said...

i wuz hear