Thursday, July 12, 2007

Watch Where You Drive

In all the minutes, hours, days, weeks, years I've been running, I've come across some unusual things. I found an unopened [yes, sealed] tube of Chapstick once (Rachel can attest) which Todd prompty decided was full of poison (I used it and am alive today!)... I have found all manner of clothing - even a mitten of mine I had lost on an earlier run. I've found enough change to fill a small glass. I've seen enough trash to fill a dumpster. I've seen binkies, an entire novel with all pages in tact, & miscellaneous jewelry. But in all that time of running, and all of the miles I've run, which are easily hundreds by now, I have never even so much as SEEN paper money. Until just the other day I found a twenty dollar bill, right at the exact place I stretch each day as if it were waiting for me. Keep in mind that a lot of people run this particular route, up & down this same road each day and my liklihood of finding that particular bill was amazing. Another five minutes, some other runner would have come along and found it instead. It's probably a silly thing to blog about but I've always wondered why I never find money! Oh, and don't think I'm some sort of scavenger. I don't pick up and keep all of these items. They're just curious oddities.

Lastly, let me tell you - I run a lot similar routes each day but every SINGLE day, I'll bet I pick up at least 3-4 screws or nails a day off the side of the road. Be careful where you drive! No wonder we get so many screws & nails in our tires! Stay close to the middle if you can!

2 backward glances:

Ellen said...

I love reading your blogs! The funny thing is that so many of them could have been written by me...or at least, if the content isn't something I'd say, the WAY you say it is...if that makes sense. You're too cute.

Anonymous said...

Amy.. I remember the chapstick, and gross you actually used it :) Good to hear your back to the route. Lily and I are still searching for a good loop. Tomorrow will be my hour run day. I like Saturday's because I'm not pushed for time, I can explore the neighborhoods and look at the homes further away. I have found that the MP3 is a must without you. I don't have the ump to run without music or someone to talk too.. yes, I miss my running partner... Keep picking up the nails, your saving tires and so many headaches. Love U! Rachel