Thursday, September 17, 2009

Superstitions

The other day as I was driving around, I happened to notice, high in sky, not too far in front of me about 30 large dark birds flying in a large but compact circle. I've only ever seen birds like that circling in old western movies, and it's usually buzzards and they're used to imply that there's something dead below. We were in a neighborhood. What's that saying?

While I watched, a few of the birds headed off toward the west and before long, one by one they would follow the first birds. I thought they'd fly off but they created another circle probably about 400 yards to the east of where the first circle was. And then they circled there for about 10 minutes.

I got down the road quite a ways and when I turned the corner, I looked back to ascertain if I could still see them. I could so I stopped to watch. They were still circling in that same spot. But now, a few birds were flying off again to the east. One by one again, the others followed and this time they did not re-circle.

I was so intrigued. I've never seen anything like it before and I could tell I wasn't the only one interested as there were a lot of swerving cars on the road.

I'm not a superstitious person by nature, but at various times in history, there have been people that take occurrences like these and make predictions or call them omens or whatever. And even with a strong belief system of my own, sometimes I see things like these weird circling birds (hawks? crows?) and it spooks me a little. If I were the type of person to look for "signs" or "omens" in things, I would have had one that day.

Weird.

0 backward glances: