Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reminds Me of High School

that would be me. Reminding myself of high school. And we all know how much I hated high school.

So there I was minding my own business toodling around in the kitchen, the sounds of 5 year old girls whafting up the stairs. I'm busy contributing to Bugs's social life (more later on this) when I hear the doorbell ring. I have two doorbells in my house, one upstairs and one downstairs (because my house is soooo huge, lol). The former owners put the doorbell downstairs so that kids from the street behind could come through the catwalk and not have to go all the way 'round front.

So the doorbell rings. It didn't register for a moment that the sound I heard was the downstairs bell and in that moment, here's what I thought (crazy that I can have such a long thought in such a short moment).

I thought the doorbell might be for me. And that it might be a friend. Preferably one I haven't seen for a while and that we could catch up. I wasn't busy at the moment and I could give her cookies and we could sit and visit and I could be a fabulous "drop in" host. I hoped that my friend would have just dropped by because she was in the neighborhood and thought, "Hey, I just want to go see Amy for a few minutes, hope she's home!"

In the moment that followed I realized it was the downstairs bell. It was one of Bug's friend's sisters come to get her to take her home. So much for wishes, right?

Truth is, I rarely "drop in" on friends like that, as much as I like it when others do it to me. And most of my friends can't keep up with my work schedule so they don't have a clue as to when I might be home anyway.

And then I was sad...sort of lonely and pathetic and high school - like I don't have enough friends and I must not be popular or something because nobody wants to just drop in on me.

And then I laughed because I felt so 15! I have the greatest friends who all would welcome me with open arms, cookies and an hour long chat if I would just drop in on them and spare a moment of my precious time. And a lot has changed because in high school, I just couldn't say that.

*sigh*

I'll go back to contributing to Bugs's social life and forget about mine. Mine's perfect.

3 backward glances:

Christy said...

You're the best Amy. Thanks for the smile. Drop in visits are fun when you're not rushing to do anything. Unfortunately that would be a hit and miss scenario for most adults. AH, the good old days when life was simpler.

Amy said...

It's true. No one wants to feel like they're in the way or interrupting. But then again, some things are just more important sometimes. Thanks for commenting!

Rachel said...

I love the drop in calls from you does that count? No one drops in on me either. I do drop in on other people. I'm notorious for knocking on doors while I walk in the evenings. It's my need to be social that drives me to interrupt people unannounced. We would have been good small town moms...