Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pure Pleasure

I received a bird feeder for Christmas this year from my good friend Kelly. She made it from a gourd and I've been wanting one ever since she started making them about a year ago. She painted it to look like a pear! It's so cute.

As I was looking at the feeder today, I was reminded of James and the Giant Peach. It looks like a HUGE pear hanging from the tree and from a distance, looks quite delicious!

She convinced me to hang it from the tree on a limb right outside my kitchen window so I can watch the birds feed from it all winter. It was a little crazy getting it up that high into the tree (about15' off the ground) but I'm so glad I did. It took about 3 weeks for the birds to warm up to the feeder but the other day I spied my first bird in it and I was so happy! Now, lots of birds regularly flock to the feeder and it bounces and sways all day as birds are in and out of it. I even saw this huge bluejay, about 6 times, attempt unsuccessfully to sit on its ledge and eat from it. I was sort of glad he couldn't so he'd leave the food for the little tiny birds.

Thanks Kelly!

2 backward glances:

kelly said...

You are so welcome! I love that picture you got of it with a bird! So sweet. There is something about birds, isn't there?
I'm so glad you like it.

Heidi Sue said...

That is neat. The picture is beautiful.