Saturday, July 3, 2010

4th of July Summer Salad

The Marshmallow and I like to cook together in the kitchen - him on the barby and me making salads and whatever else we're craving. Tonight I was on salad patrol. So the other night I happened upon a mushroom salad at the grocery store deli that we thought was ok that I wondered if I could improve upon and so I did. It turned out fantastic so I wanted to share!

Artichoke Mushroom and Romano Salad

2 cups dried Costco Mushroom mix (you buy this in a tall container in their produce section)
1 cup artichokes in oil, cut into chunks
1 cup small black olives
1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in 1/2
1/2 cup canned baby corns cut in 1/2
2 tbsp diced sundried tomatoes in oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp butter
1/4 Romano cheese
1 tsp kosher salt

Melt the butter and add the diced garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes. Reconstitute the mushrooms according to directions (takes about 10 minutes) and add them to the butter mixture and cook on medium for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the olives, tomatoes, baby corns, sundried tomatoes, and artichokes together. Add the mushroom mixture to it and toss. Add the Romano cheese and salt and mix until combined.

Serve room temperature.

We served this with very flavorful steaks which almost overpowered the strong flavors of the salad so I would recommend something lighter like fish or chicken as a main dish for this.

Enjoy!

1 backward glances:

your hungry mother said...

Hey, kid! I'll come over to help you dispose of another of those fabulous salads annnnyyyyytime! Looks luscious.