Sunday, July 18, 2010

One Day At A Time

It's been about six months since I enlisted the big overhaul to the way I manage my money. There have been some things I've been especially good at, and others I still need work on.

The good things include the fact that I have managed to pay off about 5 different consumer debt accounts. I've also fostering a good savings account finally which I'm not dipping into. And, my IRA is growing which puts me at peace. Plus, we've purchased a few big ticket items in the past few months and not a thing has been put on credit - this is something I'm especially proud of because in the past, cash just wasn't a word we knew!

On the other hand, I haven't necessarily learned any deep and meaningful lessons about responsible managing of the "extra". It's like my brain says "you've put some in savings - go ahead and blow everything else." And so, I'm definitely overspending my allocated "allowance. It helps that this summer's circumstances have brought in a bit more income than expected, but if I was as responsible as I would like to be, any extra would go into savings instead of burned into thin air.

Well I guess nobody can be absoluterly perfect and with all the good, there will some good with the bad. If another 6 months can have the affect that the first 6 months did, then I'll be on the right road.

3 backward glances:

Aislinn said...

Way to go!! It's hard to gain financial peace of mind, but with some work it can be done - perfect or not!

Amy said...

ya well, The Marshmallow's giving me some heat. I think he noticed the extra shoes and bags that have been turning up. Shoot!

Tiffany said...

We're on the same wavelength...you're just a few months ahead of me. Thanks for putting some wind in my sails, once again :)