Monday, June 8, 2009

Things To Do That Don't Cost A Lot of Money

Poverty can cause one to get creative in terms of entertainment. And while I'm not necessarily down to the last pennies in my jar, it's getting close and frugality has become a rule.

I have managed to keep myself busy these past few weeks and it's been fun. As I look back at most of the activities I've been doing, I've discovered that most of them have been pretty crafty and/or domestic. Well, that's my life.

So thanks to Tiffany and her resource list of various blogs dedicated to little girls' hair, Bugs and I have had much fun in the past few weeks doing her hair lots of different ways. It's a mother/daughter thing as she helps decide which hair-do we're going to try today. Today was this...The other day, we tried this...My friend, Kim has been coming over fairly regularly and we've been making some fun things. Last Friday we made bow boards. If you look around for things to hang on your wall to keep all your hair bows, there isn't a huge selection. But I found this so we decided to make them. It turned out SO cute. I think I'll be selling them soon. If you're interested, I can customize them however you want and they'll be $15. I also made 90% of the bows on this board. I'll probably be selling these too so if you see something you like, they will be competitively priced. Just lemme know! I'll be adding to my Etsy shop soon. (if you click on the pic, it'll enlarge so you can see everything better).I also decided that PJ's are too expensive. It's summer now and that means summer PJ's. I don't want to buy any so I decided to pair regular boy's T-shirts with these cute shorts that I made. I made several different pair in bargain-priced fabric or whatever I had leftover from other projects. We love these ducks & frogs! I just realized it's the same fabric as the bow-board! See, I'm getting the idea of frugality!

6 backward glances:

Melanie said...

I totally know what you mean about the "poverty". I'm with you. I'm glad that I have an enormous list of crafty/creative things I want to do and even already have supplies for. My problem is that I find so many new projects I want to do that need new supplies. Plus, the fabric store is my greatest weakness!

Amy said...

Melanie: totally know what you mean. it's hard to ever be bored when the list of things you want to do just grows and grows. i could spend a small fortune at the fabric store and craft stores. maybe two small fortunes.

Abbey Hadley said...

Those are so cute, Amy! I'm sad I don't have a girl to use some bows for. If I need a baby gift, I'll be hitting up your Etsy shop.

Ellen said...

Kay so when you come, you HAVE to show me how to make some of those bows. Abb's isn't ready for them yet, but she will be one day, and I'd like to be ready! So cute, totally. Good job dood.

Rachel said...

What bow board? You didn't show me that! Thank you again for letting me hang out and just soak you up. Let's do it again soon :) with crafts next time..

Amy said...

I'm sorry Rachel. You're going to have to prove your identity with that comment. The Rachel I know doesn't use the words "let's do crafts" - at least I've never heard her say that!

Please...come on over! I'm engaged in "crafts" nearly every day of the week. You're always invited! I had so much fun hanging with you and your cute Charley today too!