Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Turkey's In...

As of 8:00, it's in the oven. I brined that big sucker like Kelly said here... I trust her. If she said it's great, then I'm pretty sure it is. It was actually sort of a fun process. I put all the stuff in the bucket, stuck the turkey in there and put it out on the deck for the night where I thought it had re-frozen. I was sort of scared as I opened it this morning. But it hadn't, whew! As I brought the bucket inside, I got raised eyebrows from DH. Evidently he's never seen a turkey in a bucket. Well, neither have I but I'll try anything once!

Dinner's at 3. The turkey's on (Butterball.com and Norbest.com said 5 - 5 1/2 hrs for 24 lbs.) You see I've padded it a little :). Most everything else is either prepared or 1/2 prepared. I was up late cooking last night with my little sister. She was a great help and fun to cook with. I'm the bossy one and she is a good worker bee.

By the end of the night we both were so tired we were cracking jokes at the dumbest things and laughing until I thought I'd pee my pants. I knew then it was time to hit the hay.

DH's vote is that Tom won't be done, I'll let you know...

7 backward glances:

Rachel said...

I haven't started one thing yet and we are eating at 12:00... it's a good thing I only have the mash potatoes, green salad and green bean casserole. Yikes I need to get going... I've been building a tree swing with the boys this morning, much more fun than cooking as far as I am concerned :)

josey said...

ohmygoodness that brined turkey sounds AWESOME! (i checked out the link.) i cant wait to hear how it turned out--maybe i'll try it next year!!

our family got here late this morning and we ate around 2. the tom turned out yummeriffic--i had a little 12 pounder and he only took 2.5 hours! i have two wall ovens, and they are a tad bit smaller than a full-sized, so things tend to cook faster. i roasted it with onions, carrots, celery, shallots and some thyme, sea salt and pepper, then basted it a few times with butter. MMMmmm!

the pan drippings were PERFECT for gravy because of the roasted veggies. i am so prouda myself--my gravy was completely lump-free. YAY! LOL.

everything else turned out fantastic. it was fun cooking for everyone and spending time together!! i hope you have a blessed day!!

kelly said...

I must know how your turkey turned out! E-mail me and let me know.

Tee/Tracy said...

Laughing at dumb things is the best :)

Steve said...

Everything turned out great at our house. We have a convection oven, so our 20 lbs turkey was done in about 2 hrs 45 minutes... about an hour before we thought it would be done. Fortunately, we were going simple and had only to bake the stuffing (I don't like it in the bird) and make the mashed taters. :)

We brined our turkey, too. I couldn't get the link to work, but I'll check it out. We did a citrus brine with salt (of course), lemon, orange, thyme, bay leaves and garlic. Mmmm... was yummy.

Glad everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Hope you all had a fantastic day.

Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here but I wish it was as I have lots to be thankful for and also think of all that food!

Anonymous said...

my auntie and her daughter (my first cousin) hooked up two turkey's this year. there was also plenty of homemade macaroni & cheese, collard greens, candied yams, seafood salad, potato salad, ham, and corn bread.

it was all DA BOMB!

www.MarcusLangford.com
Subscribe to 'Mind of Marcus'
The Mind For Revolution Is Here
In conjunction w/ DrewryOnline.net