Saturday, November 3, 2007

Public School Alternatives

In two months, I will need to enroll my daughter in pre-school. I've been dreading this decision. I DO NOT like public school, especially in Utah. My single positive experience with public school was on the east coast when I lived in Maryland. By the time I moved away from there in 5th grade, I was so far past 5th graders in other parts of the country that I was bored out of my mind for the next year.

I work for the public school system, so I see the positives and negatives. And although it is made up of some of the very best people in our country, the system itself is more screwed up than this country's healthcare. I read a very interesting article in Time magazine a few months ago about where the focus of our school system is vs. where it should be if we expect our children to progress and be competitive in the future economic arena. I fully agreed with every single sentence. But in order to change what we have would mean we would have to completely paralyze the whole system, break it down to its bare roots and re-build it from the ground up. Meanwhile, our children would suffer in the downtime. It would be drastic and I don't know if that sort of change could be accomplished without sincere commitment from EVERYBODY.

So, I'm left with a daughter who is going to start school in the next year and I don't know where to send her. I have a cute little elementary school 2 blocks from my house where all her friends are going to go....or I can find a private school where I can have more say in what my daughter learns.

There's a fantastic private school in Salt Lake called Rowland Hall that I've been reading about and considering for a few years. It's a K-12 school (a big positive consideration for me; I dont want her jerked away from friends at 7th grade because that's when the school ends), it has nearly a 95% rate of kids going on to college, and their curriculum is spectacular. It's non-secular, very academic-based. But it's expensive.

On the other hand, would it be THAT different if we opted for public education? Or is the difference in the home? I'm worried about the social influence too - clothing, drugs, peer pressure, etc. I know those things will still be problems in private school but hopefully not as much because of dress codes, closer supervision, higher standards (??). The last thing I want is for her to grow up being a little snob. As an only child, she already has that propensity (& personality).

What to do, what to do. I could just enroll her in a neighborhood preschool this year and decide for kindergarten next year. Rowland Hall has a preschool so that adds an extra factor. I hate having to be responsible. This could be one of the most important decisions we make for her. Am I over analyzing?

p.s. hope there's no offense to the school teachers out there! You are absolutely underpaid & under appreciated for the hard work you do. My hat's off to you for being able to accomplish all you do under difficult circumstances. Great job! I could never be a teacher; not in a million years!

10 backward glances:

Rachel said...

I agree with the Time article as well. Consider yourself lucky to have the options of public vs. private. Jake went to Challenger Pre-School for two years and at the end of Kindergarten he was no farther along than any of the other students. (I think the home learner is the GREATEST factor) My op is keep her in a neighborhood pre-school and let her play and enjoy other kids. When it's time for reading & writing then you can make a choice by what you feel is the right learning environment for her.. my two cents and you asked for it :)

FriendinME said...

I don't think you are over-analyzing... because this IS among the most important decisions you will make for her.

The problem is that there is no right answer. Each child is different, each family is different and each school is different! What is right for my family may not be right for yours (as you know).

So... I have just two pieces of "advice"... speaking as a dad who has done this three times and and as counselor who has given advice to parents...

The most important thing you can do is love your kids and make sure that they know they are loved at home. That is the single most important thing-- even when it comes to how they do in school. Kids who know they are loved will always do better no matter what school they attend.

Be engaged in what they learn... public or private, when parents are engaged, the kid does better.

Lastly, as a professor of Human Development told me: "You can't choose your kids friends, but you can choose the pool from which they select their friends."

The biggest thing, in my mind, about school is not the academics but whether my child will like to attend there and benefit from the friends she makes there.

There is no right answer... so, relax, talk it over with your husband... and do the best you can. :)

Mad goat lady said...

I cannot begin to comment on the positives or negatives of american schools as I am an Australian, but I do know that as long as your child feels safe and happy in her environment there is every chance she will enjoy school which will then instill in her a love for learning.

Good luck..hope it all goes well :)

Melanie Posell said...

I don't have kids, but I can totally see where you are coming from. I personally am glad that I went to public school for the social factor, but I was a very dedicated student. I have cousins who went to private school and we both got equal scholarships to the schools we applied to.
I think the biggest problem in our education system is that parents aren't involved enough. Teachers just don't have the time or the resources to do all it takes for children to succeed.
The fact that you are having such a hard time with this decision says that you won't be that parent who isn't involved in her childs education. I think whatever you decide will be right for you and for SP. She will make friends no matter where you send her, so I don't think you should worry too much about that part.
Good luck! I dread the day when I am in your shoes.
Rowland Hall does seem to be a good choice if that's what you decide. One of my college professors is on the board there.

FriendinME said...

sorry my comments are so long. I'll be shorter in the future. :)

Amy said...

thanks for all the comments! you're right, knowing she's loved and safe will probably mean the entire world to her and being an involved parent will probably compensate for whatever crappy education she might receive. i stress, it's my nature. i cannot help myself. but it's helpful to have your opinions.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand where you are coming from! I had my own 'where should I send my daughter to school' dilema not so long ago myself!!

Kaitlin went to a private preschool and had a great experience with the school and the teachers. For me though, it wasn't so much about the public/private issue. I don't think there is as much of a 'gap' between public and private here in South Dakota since all the schools are smaller, etc., but my dilema was Jr. K or Kindergarten and I wrote a post about it here:
http://www.amatterofmemories.com/2007/01/kaitlins-uncertain-schooling.html

I just realized that I never actually made a specific post on our decision...so, by the way, we chose Webster Jr. K and she is loving it!

kellypea said...

I think I found you at the Mad Goat Lady's site (just in case you thought it strange that I dropped in unannounced...)I know how it feels making this decision. When the youngest of my three sons was ready for school, I'd decided that Montessori (the real thing and not a version of it) would be best for him. And it was. He's fifteen now. I worked in public schools for 20 years as a teacher and administrator. I agree that it's broken. Seriously. Good luck with your decision.

Steve said...

My kids are doing well in public schools, and I'm amazed at how much they're learning and how well they're being taught.

Ultimately, though, I will agree that it depends upon the kids and on the opportunities that will be available for your child, and it goes both ways. For example, public schools often have well rounded athletic programs that can be difficult for a private school to maintain. Private schools, on the other hand, may have tremendous academic, fine arts, or other programs that are well above that available to the local public schools.

Private schools are also not required to meet the same standards as public schools. This can be irrelevant in schools where the curriculum is very progressive. Sometimes, however, private schools are more interested in meeting some religious or political agenda than providing a quality education. In some states, teachers in private schools don't even have to be licensed to teach in that State.

But ultimately, do what you think is best. Several years ago, when our kids started school, we decided to give the public schools a shot and then take it from there. We haven't been disappointed. It hasn't all been rosy, but overall, we've been very satisfied.

Jessica said...

I teach 5th grade, so this post hit home. I totally agree with you- the system has faults. I go to work everyday and hope and pray I make a difference. I would be all for revamping the system! : ) But, we have great schools here in the Northwest section of Arkansas. But, not all public schools are created equal.